Will these work on a CX?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Not with normal drop bar levers no. You need Avid BB7 road (the grey ones) for that application. The mtb BB7's(the black ones) need V brake amounts of cable pull.

Evil Rabbit

Does it not depend on the CX bike ?

I have BB5s on my Boardman CX Team, would the BB7s in the link not work with my existing SRAM drop levers ?

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Not with normal drop bar levers no. You need Avid BB7 road (the grey ones) for that application. The mtb BB7's(the black ones) need V brake amounts of cable pull.

Planet x said they work fine with ultegra levers as I'm ordering from them due to a refund of costs on repairing the dodgy cx, not yet ordered tho as I believe Greg more :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Planet x said they work fine with ultegra levers as I'm ordering from them due to a refund of costs on repairing the dodgy cx, not yet ordered tho as I believe Greg more :smile:

Avid are fairly explicit about not using STI type levers with BB5 and BB7 mtb calipers. Can be done with a travelator, travel agent, or rollamajig or other doodad in the line though.

My tourer started off with Shimano Sora and BB5 road and now has Sora + BB7 road.

Evil Rabbit; iirc Boardman CX's have BB5 road or BB7 road on them. The grey ones.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks. Is the colour of the BB5 and 7 significant then ? Is the silver "road ones" different to the black ones ?

yep, the silver road version work with short pull brake levers, so most aero road levers, STI/Ergo/Doubletap road levers and some short pull flat bar levers, the sort designed to work with canti brakes.

The black MTB version are long pull so the same sort of pull as v-brake levers

Evil Rabbit

yep, the silver road version work with short pull brake levers, so most aero road levers, STI/Ergo/Doubletap road levers and some short pull flat bar levers, the sort designed to work with canti brakes.

The black MTB version are long pull so the same sort of pull as v-brake levers

thanks, thats helpful.

Top Bottom