Will this cassette work with this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dude7691

I've been considering getting that bike, I would be interested in hearing how you get on with it.
I will be sure to let you know! Got high hopes for it I've built my fitness up a lot from the mountain bike so I'm looking forward to an upgrade myself :biggrin:

Reactions: C R
7B7466DA-0550-42E3-A036-5844670939FC.jpeg

C341B19C-707B-46A3-B4E6-1C103041BFED.jpeg

I have a T520. A 32 tooth big sprocket works fine. I use a 30 tooth large sprocket, and that’s fine for getting me up some quite good hills.

29D7AB95-5A1A-4B7D-9E25-A6EFF2861739.jpeg

That was Box Hill on the Ride London 100 in 2015.

If 32 teeth isn’t enough, you can go larger with one of these.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wolf-Tooth-Components/Road-Link-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger/DOQG

Which allows you to go to 34 or more teeth.

F0C1A2FD-992D-4C15-B6B7-5464018D1611.jpeg

I think this was a 36 tooth, with the hanger extender I linked to.

Last edited:
Ive got a triban 520 and just put a 11-34 on with no problems
Famous last words, there are certain ratios that will almost certainly leave you with no rear mech, and broken spokes, with the standard Sora set up. I tried putting a 34 tooth largest sprocket on, with the standard set up, and it very nearly didn’t end well.

gazza81

Über Member
Famous last words, there are certain ratios that will almost certainly leave you with no rear mech, and broken spokes, with the standard Sora set up. I tried putting a 34 tooth largest sprocket on, with the standard set up, and it very nearly didn’t end well.

Only had it put on 50 miles ago, no problems so far?

Had a quick link fitted on my chain a few days ago and i mentioned i put a new cassette on and he didnt say anything, just that as long as the rear derailleur was long rather than short it will be fine.

Fingers crossed!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Dude, stop over-thinking the issue, buy the bike, enjoy it, spend the cassette money on beer. You'll be amazed at how fast your body adapts to the new bike.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ive got a triban 520 and just put a 11-34 on with no problems
If you can't safely use the large cog and the large chain ring it's no good.Eventually you will forget which chain ring you are using .

Try it gently and carefully on a bike stand or something.It may be ok but if not enough movement available you could even snap the frame.

If you can't safely use the large cog and the large chain ring it's no good.Eventually you will forget which chain ring you are using .

Try it gently and carefully on a bike stand or something.It may be ok but if not enough movement available you could even snap the frame.
This ^^^^^

Ajax Bay

Guru
Enough movement in what?
Yes ,the derailleur needs a bit of movement left in it and the chain needs to be long enough.
There are two limitations involved here: A) one limiting the size of the largest sprocket and the other B) specifying a limit for the 'capacity' of the RD to wrap the spare chain.
B) first: If the chain is too short then trying to shift into large/large will either not happen and lots of noise, or the lower teeth of the largest sprocket catches the chain but as the sprocket rolls over the chain is not long enough, even with the 'return' (lower) section of the chain dead straight, you then have a strong chance of ride-ending damage. And if the chain does just manage it, it will not want to shift back down the cassette because the (in-theory) non-tensioned part of the chain passing through the cage/jockey wheels is under increased tension and will resist the sideways guidance of the jockey wheel - note that the cage is fully extended and therefore weaker as well. When in large/large the rule of thumb I use is that the chain is too short if the cage is pointing earlier than 4:30 (<135 degrees). Better to accept the penalty of too long a chain which will mean the RD cage folds on itself (when in small chainring / quite small sprocket) and the chain interferes with itself. Rarely any damage accrues and the noise prompts the rider to shift to a large(r) chainring.
The A) limitation can be addressed by a wolftooth option (as above) or similar once the 'b' adjustment screw adjustment (including reversal) has been fully exploited.
What I want to know is what @Racing roadkill (K13133) is pointing at as he climbs Box Hill? The edge of the road?

Top Bottom