Will this chain fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycleshoe

Hi,

Im needing a new chain as the link within my current has become very stiff and causing shfiting skips. I have the Sora 9 speed groupset and that would make me thing i would need a 9 speed chain. But when i go to check the bike specs on the manfucator page it states the chain is a 6/7/8 speed??

here the link to my specs https://vitusbikes.com/collections/razor/products/vitus-razor-vr-disc-road-bike-sora

heres the chain i wish to buy https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-x9sl-9-speed-super-light-bike-chain/rp-prod179553

will this fit?

also if so why does the groupset state it is a 9 speed yet the chain is 6/7/8

Thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Very strange. Could be a typo in the manufacturer specs? Personally I would fit the 'correct' 9spd chain to match the rest of the drivetrain.
Also, that is one hell of an expensive chain to replace a bog standard chain with. Chains are consumables and the standard X9 is just as good, but without all those slots to collect gunge. I know which I would get :okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's a cracking bike you've got there and good value for that price. But the chain you've linked to is listed at £42, which seems a bit of overkill to me with little or no benefit. Fifteen quid will easily sort you a quality brand chain and you won't find the slightest difference.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You are right, bike is described as 8 speed but then spec claims 9spd for many of the drivetrain components (curiously doesn't state what speed the shifters are) :wacko:

The OP needs to actually count the cogs to be sure.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As above, you really don’t have to spend more than £15 on a chain. I’ve bought KMC, SRAM and Shimano in the past, they have all been excellent, I have no preference. They all usually come with a quick link, remember to cut the chain to the same length as the chain you are replacing.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The clue might be in claim " super light". So rather than take the change out of your pocket they've decided to relieve you of the cash before it gets there :smile:

Sharky

Guru
Is it just a single link that has become stiff?

Just bend it sideways at at that point to stretch the link a bit and it should work free. A bit of oil as well.

Big John

Guru
All this because of one stiff link? Have you not got a chain splitter? Or am I missing something here? To me it sounds like a simple fix, not a new chain. If the chain has failed the guage test then so be it. But that new chain may very will not mesh with a potentially worn cassette so new chain might mean new cassette too. I'd just fix the stiff link but thats me - we're all different.

chris-suffolk

OP never said it was just one link, so I (and others) have assumed for now that it's the whole chain. Some clarification seems to be in order from the OP

Top Bottom