Will this make the roads safer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The BBC have just reported that a motorist who was texting on her mobile phone when she hit and killed a cyclist has been sentenced to four years in prison. Will this make drivers think more carefully about the possible consequences of their actions or will they just carry on as normal?

She also received a five year driving ban, presumable to come into force after she leaves prison.

Personally I feel that the four year prison sentence is correct, but it should have been a life time driving ban, to send out the right signal ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Being banged up for four years is a pretty harsh punishment if you think about it carefully. She will never be the same person again.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
She caused the death of another person by her actions, fours years is appropriate. It will give her time to reflect on the consequences of her actions, but I don't think it will make her a safer driver, so it should be a life time ban.

Maz

Guru
The cyclist in question also jumped the red light.
This is what happens when 2 careless numpties bash into each other.

AtmoLav

4 years is a hell of a long time in the circumstances. I'm fairly sure she didn't intend to run the person down. To be fair, this should put everyone off RLJing...

domtyler

Über Member
Four years is definitely long enough to reflect. Just imagine spending the next four years in a prison with hard core criminals!

I would say that she does deserve it for killing the guy though as it should send out a pretty strong message to anyone else considering texting while driving.

As for the lifetime driving ban, that doesn't really give her much chance to change her ways does it? One strike and you're out? A bit draconian I'd say. Don't forget she also has to come to terms with the fact that she has killed someone, an innocent young man. How would you manage?

Considering the cyclist jumped a red light and therefore contributed to his death, the four year sentence seems quite high

Clearly, though, the right message had to be sent out re use of mobile phones.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Hairy Jock said:
The BBC have just reported that a motorist who was texting on her mobile phone when she hit and killed a cyclist has been sentenced to four years in prison. Will this make drivers think more carefully about the possible consequences of their actions or will they just carry on as normal?

She also received a five year driving ban, presumable to come into force after she leaves prison.

Personally I feel that the four year prison sentence is correct, but it should have been a life time driving ban, to send out the right signal ;)

There are 3 factors here that all contributed to this tragic loss of life

1) Use of a mobile phone whilst driving
2) Doing 45 in a 30 limit
3) The cyclist jumping a red light

I think that the prison sentence and driving ban sends out exactly the right signal but think that a life time driving ban would be way over the top given that the cyclist here clearly did not help the situation.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
Text message?
sorry

Maz have you been appointed as the resident board comedy genius ???
I believe that you should have turned down the invitation ;)

Tynan

Veteran
four years sounds fine to me, people need to realise that killing someone with a car is killing someone and using a phone is utterly unacceptable

maybe she is traumatised, maybe she isn't, given she thought texting was ok in a speeding car, I suspect she might very well get over it

you'd get a damn sight more for manslaughter and that's what it'd be if it wasn't done with a car

they have to clamp down on phones in cars, it's absolutely commonplace, it seems like it only becomes an offense once you've killed someone, cops don't seem bothered by the use of the phone alone

bobbyp

4 years seem reasonable to me for somebody travelling at 50% over the speed limit in a residential area (I assume from the 30 zone) and texting. After all, unlike talking on the phone, when texting you are not able to even look in the right direction.

The cyclist shouldn't have jumped the red light but say it had been a ped crossing, sees car coming, assumes 30mph and thinks they have time to cross.

I think this sends the right message. This was somebody who killed somebody entirely through their own actions. And the 4 years with hardened criminals doesn't seem that likely. 18 months low security or open prison sounds a lot more like it.

domtyler

Über Member
She doesn't exactly look like a hardened killer does she?

_44460291_coultasfull.jpg

Top Bottom