Will this tyre need replaced soon?

Should I replace the tyre immediately or wait ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
gavintc said:
No, I can't fit lights to my Cervelo as I have thick bars on it. So, I have always taken the Ribble out. It is getting near to riding without lights, or I might use my helmet mounted light on Wed.

That tyre has done well - very well.
The bars on my Bianchi are aero profile bars, thick and stream lined (weird shaped) too. I carry a EL410 to occasionally fit, its a simple all in one (bracket and light) I can mount it to my bars or helmet and its a good bright light but I don't think it'd handle a Wednesday night run. I had it backed up with a bespoke 1/2 watt and could have definitely done with more.

Thanks that's reassuring to know I'm getting a decent mileage out of a tyre.

yenrod

Mine wasnt even like that but went 4mls from home...just about got back but got numerous punctures to make it back - ended up patching it with a crisp packet/cardboard against the tyre-tube :biggrin:

Cranky

HLaB said:
Do you take the Cervelo out on Wednesday nights? When I did it I took the Sirrus its got more places to attach lights.

Is 3,765 miles (16 months) a reasonable life from a rear road tyre that's been used in all conditions and at a reasonable pace (reasonable for me anyway) winter club runs etc ?

I never managed to get much more than 1,000 miles from a GP 4 Seasons tyre on the rear before it squared off and started getting punctures, so I wish I knew your secret! And I kept them regularly pumped up to 120psi, too.

Anyway, I've sold that bike now and am using a tourer/cyclocross frame with Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 32, so am hoping for a bit more longevity from them.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Cranky said:
I never managed to get much more than 1,000 miles from a GP 4 Seasons tyre on the rear before it squared off and started getting punctures, so I wish I knew your secret! And I kept them regularly pumped up to 120psi, too.

Anyway, I've sold that bike now and am using a tourer/cyclocross frame with Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 32, so am hoping for a bit more longevity from them.
I usually only run them at 110psi (90 in deepest winter) and pump them up weekly so it'll fall below this level. Other than a the wear on the the circumference the sides of the tyre is in good nick. Interstingly looking at the Conti site they reccomend 95psi for 700x25 (that's what I've got) or 110 psi for 23mm.

Cranky

HLaB said:
I usually only run them at 110psi (90 in deepest winter) and pump them up weekly so it'll fall below this level. Other than a the wear on the the circumference the sides of the tyre is in good nick. Interstingly looking at the Conti site they reccomend 95psi for 700x25 (that's what I've got) or 110 psi for 23mm.

That is interesting. Mine were 23mm but I thought they were marked as 120psi max. Trouble is, I can't check now that I've sold the bike! It could be that the problems were due to over-inflation.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Tynan said:
what's '9.40 pace' mean?

just out of interest
The 9.40 pace was pretty fast today (18.5mph for the first 10 miles and 20mph for the next both into the wind and 22.7mph for the next 14miles with the wind behind us (I got dropped during that :biggrin:) it was more sedate after that 16mph in the warm down.

Edit: The tyre is replaced btw, thanks all

Top Bottom