Will this tyre need replaced soon?

Should I replace the tyre immediately or wait ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've ordered a new rear tyre from probikeit, never used them before so I hope they are OK.

Touch wood they've never p'tured in nearly 3,800miles so I've went with the same again (a 2009 conti 4 season) should I replace it immediately or should I wait til the 1st p'ture?
3459640049_5371308071.jpg

Noodley

Replace it yesterday.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If your car tyre looked like that, would you be contemplating changing it? No, you would change it.

Get it changed!

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
The pic makes it look a wee bit worse than it is but I might give the club run a miss tomorrow and go out on my Bianchi instead (wouldn't leave that in the car park at work) and hopefully probikeit are fast. If they are I'll probably order gp 4000s from them.

gavintc

Guru
HLaB, On a different subject, what speed are the Tue night sessions. Is it full on race team speed or survivable for a 9.40 rider. I cannot make tomorrow, and will probably do Portabello on Wed, but might try to go out next Tue night.

WRT to the tyre - I would change.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
gavintc said:
HLaB, On a different subject, what speed are the Tue night sessions. Is it full on race team speed or survivable for a 9.40 rider. I cannot make tomorrow, and will probably do Portabello on Wed, but might try to go out next Tue night.

WRT to the tyre - I would change.
I'm told there about 9.40 pace and on Saturday it was described as a slow 9.40. Unfortunately :biggrin: it starts at 6 from the commie which is just to short to get home for the Bianchi and get back into town so I'd have to do it on my winter bike those tyres.

gavintc

Guru
Yes, I have a similar issue with the evening sessions. I need to get home, change and get out for either Commie Pool or Portabello as I do not want to leave the Cervelo at work.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
gavintc said:
Yes, I have a similar issue with the evening sessions. I need to get home, change and get out for either Commie Pool or Portabello as I do not want to leave the Cervelo at work.
Do you take the Cervelo out on Wednesday nights? When I did it I took the Sirrus its got more places to attach lights.

Is 3,765 miles (16 months) a reasonable life from a rear road tyre that's been used in all conditions and at a reasonable pace (reasonable for me anyway) winter club runs etc ?

gavintc

Guru
Edinburgh Road Club is big, very big. The Sat morning club runs are broken down into a sort of league of rides with the fast race team leaving at 09.30. The majority of riders at 09.40 split into 3-4 pelotons and then a 9.45 and finally a 9.50 group. 9.40 is good club pace averaging 17-20 mph, and is for the aspiring Cat 4 riders. The club puts out about 100 riders on a Sat morning. So 9.40 is a ERC pace that if you can keep with you should be able to do the other club runs. Occasionally, the race Cat 2-3 guys take a training ride pace beyond the 9.40 pace. So, was just checking if I could cope with the Tue night run.

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
Do you take the Cervelo out on Wednesday nights? When I did it I took the Sirrus its got more places to attach lights.

Is 3,765 miles (16 months) a reasonable life from a rear road tyre that's been used in all conditions and at a reasonable pace (reasonable for me anyway) winter club runs etc ?

No, I can't fit lights to my Cervelo as I have thick bars on it. So, I have always taken the Ribble out. It is getting near to riding without lights, or I might use my helmet mounted light on Wed.

That tyre has done well - very well.

Top Bottom