I need a new front light - 2 modes only will do , nothing fancy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All I need is a see me light. Something that flashes. That probably tends to get a bit more attention safety wise.

The switch has finally packed up on the lamp that I have been using for 8 years !

I already have a very bright lamp that I bought specifically to light up the canal path in winter on my way home sometimes. I used to leave it in the same mode all the time. It is a Lezyne 700XL .

I just need a light about £10 that I don't need to remove when I go in the shop. Any suggestions?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just need a light about £10 that I don't need to remove when I go in the shop. Any suggestions?
Do you mean one so cheap that it wouldn't bother you when/if it were stolen OR a cheap light which can be bolted on and not removed in a few seconds?

There are endless numbers of cheap flashing lights which just loop on with a rubber band fitting. I picked up some cheap lights on ebay with stretchy bands to attach them. Quick to put on but equally quick to get stolen if left on the bike... :whistle:

Do you mean one so cheap that it wouldn't bother you when/if it were stolen OR a cheap light which can be bolted on and not removed in a few seconds?

There are endless numbers of cheap flashing lights which just loop on with a rubber band fitting. I picked up some cheap lights on ebay with stretchy bands to attach them. Quick to put on but equally quick to get stolen if left on the bike... :whistle:

Good question Colin.

one so cheap that it wouldn't bother you when/if it were stolen
But I would also want it to function.Unlike some they had in the 'One below shop' that literally fell to pieces in my hand.

I paid £7 for the one I got in 2015. I liked how it just slid out to take in the house to change batteries. Then simply clicked back in. It was one press to turn on, a 2nd press for flashing mode, and a 3rd press for off. It was something like PZ* just 3 letters.

I looked on E bay and most of the bottom end seem to come with a rear light.

Edit: I don't mind eithervway, trying a rechargable tyoe or batts.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got 2 rear lights with my front light from ebay. THESE are the lights in question. The numbers are a joke... 1,200 Lumen - ha ha - no way! The front light has 4 different modes (3 brightness levels and flashing) NOT the 6 in the blurb, and I'm sure that it doesn't last 2 hours on full brightness. I only use it for getting back in twilight so its relatively short battery life on full beam doesn't really bother me. IIRC, when the charge gets too low the light switches the brightness down and then lasts a lot longer. The rear lights also don't last long on a full charge either. I use those in a strange flash pattern mode which is eye-catching and must preserve charge because only 1 or 2 of the leds are on at any one time. And of course, I have 2 rear lights so I use one and could swap to the other mid-ride if I had to.

I also have some tiny strap-on emergency lights from Lidl. They are okay, but I don't like the fact that they use disposable CR2032 batteries.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
If you use Amazon, then we tend to go for these as cheap flashers:
https://amzn.eu/d/5NgkapH
20230925_073253.jpg

Charge off USB
Come with rear, that can be useful as a back up on long journeys. £10.
4 modes:
- bright continuous
- dim continuous (battery saver)
- winking
- intermittent winking, like a heart beat
Seen similar in Aldi this week too as someone else has said

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you use Amazon, then we tend to go for these as cheap flashers:
https://amzn.eu/d/5NgkapH
View attachment 707703
Charge off USB
Come with rear, that can be useful as a back up on long journeys. £10.
4 modes:
- bright continuous
- dim continuous (battery saver)
- winking
- intermittent winking, like a heart beat
Seen similar in Aldi this week too as someone else has said

I've got a few of those as rear lights -just spares, seem to keep going. I also have the genuine Zecto 250lm ones, and these are way better, but I use them as daylight lights.

Basic lights, PX will do. Their Dog Star's are COB LED's - great for being seen, not so much as seeing with - they are very bright, but produce a diffused wide beam. A little pricey at the moment as usually sub £10.

vickster

Legendary Member
Moon lights are decent
Eg the Meteor at £16
Moon - Meteor Rechargeable Handlebar Mounted Front Bike Light 400 Max Lumens, Daytime Mode, 80 Hours Max Runtime https://amzn.eu/d/2SKR0nR

Or I use these, well discounted at £22
https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-auto-x-pro-rechargeable-front-bike-light-157535.html?

If you want cheap that takes batteries
https://www.merlincycles.com/niterider-mako-150-front-bike-light-1-120255.html

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like the Moon Nova:
laa542.jpg

It'll do 80 Lumens continuous or flashy-flashy IIRC and takes a single AA battery so spares (rechargeable, obviously) can be carried and it's not fit for landfill when the internal battery dies after two years use.

Balfes have it here for £9; while Halfrauds have the set with the excellent Pulsar rear light for about £17.

274495?w=740&h=555&qlt=default&fmt=auto&v=1.jpg

The Pulsar was actually what sucked me in as it's a great little rear light that again takes replaceable batteries (2xAAA), is bright and generally very competently executed.

Moon also seem to be a pretty decent company - around for a while with fairly long-lived support, decent availibilty of replacement bits and a nice, largely standardised mounting system.

If you sit on your hands you can pick up the two-light set for a bit more than a tenner from ebay - I tend to keep an eye out and hoover up the cheap offerings so that I have spares / options for multiple bikes.

Top Bottom