I need a new front light - 2 modes only will do , nothing fancy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Moon lights are decent
Eg the Meteor at £16
Moon - Meteor Rechargeable Handlebar Mounted Front Bike Light 400 Max Lumens, Daytime Mode, 80 Hours Max Runtime https://amzn.eu/d/2SKR0nR

Or I use these, well discounted at £22
https://www.merlincycles.com/moon-meteor-auto-x-pro-rechargeable-front-bike-light-157535.html?

If you want cheap that takes batteries
https://www.merlincycles.com/niterider-mako-150-front-bike-light-1-120255.html

i run 2 of the autos , the only downside is i cant change modes with gloves on

sheddy

Legendary Member
Aldi had some last week

I was looking in Lidl which is close to places I go. A staff member said they send them back if they have not sold them after a few weeks.

I do shop in Aldi occasionally but I go in the car as it is a bit out of town. I intend looking on their middle aisle when I am next in there.

I have 3 lights on the front - all rechargeable

one is bright and directional and I only use it on canal patrhs and the like so I can see where I am going

plus 2 cheap ones from Planet X in a sale

I have 2 because you never know when the charge/battery will run out - with 2 I am more visible and always have one available if one runs out of charge

The "new" LED lights are so much brighter than the old fashioned lights that pretty much anything will do a good job of making you seen

IMO anyway

P.S. I have 3 on the back - same make and model but red - because Iif the back lights run out of charge then I won;t even notice until I get home!

I am waiting for someone to say the immortal "Sorry Mate Didn;t See You" when I am riding along with 5 or 6 lights on - hasn;t happened yet!

If you use Amazon, then we tend to go for these as cheap flashers:
https://amzn.eu/d/5NgkapH
View attachment 707703
Charge off USB
Come with rear, that can be useful as a back up on long journeys. £10.
4 modes:
- bright continuous
- dim continuous (battery saver)
- winking
- intermittent winking, like a heart beat
Seen similar in Aldi this week too as someone else has said

I think the lights I have received today are the same as yours. How long is the charging time?

20231007_122356.jpg

Mazz

I think the lights I have received today are the same as yours. How long is the charging time?

View attachment 709060

For the link...
🔋 𝟯𝗫 𝗕𝗜𝗚𝗚𝗘𝗥, 𝗟𝗢𝗡𝗚-𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝗥𝗘𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗚𝗘𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 & 𝗗𝗨𝗥𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗕𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗦: 750mAh battery (3x bigger than the whole market) | Lasts over 12 hours on a full charge | 0% - 100% in just 3 hours.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I have 2 because you never know when the charge/battery will run out

You generally do know when the charge is due to go, barring rare battery failure. Usually plenty of warning.

Having said that I do have a backup be seen front light on my recumbent in case dynamo light gets damaged or calls it a day. A couple of rear leds in case of failure of one.

The battery lights I do have use rechargeable AAA. Easy to pop into next newsagent, supermarket or garage if you do misjudge your charging regime.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
+1 for moon meteor, had mine for 3+ years never let me down.
It is a good light. Used it for a couple of years but wanted a back-up so bought the much cheaper Aldi rechargeable cree light to keep in my saddlebag, just in case the Moon ran out of juice. On my daily commute I was recharging the Moon every week or so, which was fine. But curious of the Aldi light's battery life, I used that as my front light straight out of the box and it lasted three months before needing its first recharge. Needless to say the Moon became the back-up!

You generally do know when the charge is due to go, barring rare battery failure. Usually plenty of warning.

Having said that I do have a backup be seen front light on my recumbent in case dynamo light gets damaged or calls it a day. A couple of rear leds in case of failure of one.

The battery lights I do have use rechargeable AAA. Easy to pop into next newsagent, supermarket or garage if you do misjudge your charging regime.

Mine just basically stop
even when I used rechargeable AAA batteries it was difficult to tell

They did get dimmer but by the time they started to do that then went from OK to "too dim to use" in quite a short period of time

Better quality lights might be better I suppose

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It is a good light. Used it for a couple of years but wanted a back-up so bought the much cheaper Aldi rechargeable cree light to keep in my saddlebag, just in case the Moon ran out of juice. On my daily commute I was recharging the Moon every week or so, which was fine. But curious of the Aldi light's battery life, I used that as my front light straight out of the box and it lasted three months before needing its first recharge. Needless to say the Moon became the back-up!

they are good lights , i manage with 2 on unlit lanes but as i said i cant change modes with gloves which is a pita

I have often thought that a handlebar mounted battery/controller connected witrh a simple thin wire to a front and rear light would be a good thing
It could also have a check light and power leds so you can tell if you are about to run out of charge - good design would mean the lights are permanently mounted and the battery easily taken off for security and charging

One of those things I have come up with and not patented - can;t see why such a thing is not available

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I haven't seen a rear light that gives you any warning.

Most "see with" rather than "be seen by" front lights do have some sort of indicator of remaining power, but IME few of the "be seen by" ones do.

You’ll notice the light dimming a long time before battery goes. That’s if you pay attention. But it’s not exactly hard to keep on top of keeping a light charged, anyway rear leds will generally last a whole winter of commuting.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have often thought that a handlebar mounted battery/controller connected witrh a simple thin wire to a front and rear light would be a good thing
It could also have a check light and power leds so you can tell if you are about to run out of charge - good design would mean the lights are permanently mounted and the battery easily taken off for security and charging

One of those things I have come up with and not patented - can;t see why such a thing is not available

Exposure do a system with exactly this, thought the battery is integral to the front light.

I used it very successfully for several years, but unfortunately because the power port is integrated to the rear light connection, any slight loose connection results in the lights being inadvertently switched off. I guess over several years use the contacts wear.

Being too tight to buy a new front light, I now use separate rears.

https://www.exposure-use.com/Brands/Exposure-Lights/Products/Bike/Accessories/RedEye-MK2

Alex321

Veteran
You’ll notice the light dimming a long time before battery goes. That’s if you pay attention. But it’s not exactly hard to keep on top of keeping a light charged, anyway rear leds will generally last a whole winter of commuting.

LEDs IME don't really dim like that as the battery power drops. And you aren't usually looking at the rear one anyhow - and my rear (a smallish Cateye, can't remember the actual model) gets around 17 hours in flashing mode between charges, so I do need to generally charge it weekly in the winter.

My front light (Ravemen PR1600) is a "see with" light, which has a display showing how many hours left in current mode (goes to half hours once below 5, and down to 1/10 hours once it is below an hour).

Top Bottom