Will this wheel be suitable for my needs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I can't find a cross section for the rim but think it is like this (though a deeper section):
recessed-with-eyelets.jpg
I recommended 20mm wide rim tape/strip but 22mm will fit without affecting the interface between tyre bead and rim hook. To give you anecdata, I have just bought a pair of wheels with a 15mm internal rim width and was surprised to see a 20mm strip (when 16mm would have been the 'norm'). The tyres (clinchers) went on fine. Still looked wide though.
If your current wheel has a rim strip (ie plastic loop) of a better width you could remove that (when you transfer the tyre) and use it.

Reactions: dac
OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for the response.
I'm afraid the old wheel was damaged so it has been disposed of, therefore I cannot use the old rim strip.

I've had a crack at drawing the cross section of my new wheel rim. The red line is where I think the rim tape will come up to. Is this too high?
Is the clincher line the hook type things at the very top of the rim, where the tyre's wire bead hook under?

You can see what I mean about the bulging angled bit between the curve (concave) spoke holed surface and the inside walls.
rim.PNG

Update:
This is a more accurate representation. Again, the red lines indicate where I feel the rim tape/band will come up too.
rim.PNG

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I understand the issue (and what you mean by the 'bulging angled bits'). Why not use a strip of sellotape cross ways and see if you can reproduce where the rim strip will come to vis-a-vis the rim hook. Otherwise you can mitigate the risk by asking the erroneous supplier of the 22mm rim strip to send you the width you ordered. The 20mm strip I've got says 17-21 internal width so it's 'out-of-spec' for my 15mm internal width rims.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks @Ajax Bay
"Why not use a strip of sellotape cross ways and see if you can reproduce where the rim strip will come to vis-a-vis the rim hook." - that's a great idea. See below below for the place where the 22mm crosses the rim section. It's right at the top of the curve.

The question I have is, being a rim band, will it actually sit snug against the concave surface where the spoke holes are? If it won't then I expect the rim band to raise higher, as I had the 22mm sellotape snug against the spoke holes surface.

Yes, I can send the 22mm rim band back but it arrived today and I was hoping to sort my bike out tomorrow and cycle the weekend. If I order another then I'll have to wait a few days and miss the weekend of riding. However, I'd rather fit the wheel, rim tape/band, inner tube and tyre just the once, so if you suggest for me to get a narrower rim band then I will?? I reckon 16mm will suffice.

Does it have to be a rim band or is rim tape better? I've heard electrical tape will suffice, I have some cheap stuff, will this do?
Thanks.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Backed up by your ad hoc measurement I'd reiterate my advice: the 22mm strip will not interfere with the correct seating of the tyre's bead in the rim. "Will it actually sit snug against the concave surface where the spoke holes are?" Yes: so your assessment of how far up the sides is valid. Applicable to both seating and this: remember the tube is pushing out at (say) 4 times atmospheric pressure (and the great outdoors is only pushing back at 14psi).
Electrical tape will not do. It would cover the spokes hole to start with, but over too short a time some of the spoke hole edges will cut through, and then go on to give you a puncture. You can use duct tape but cutting that to 20mm width is a faff and half: the rim strip will be better.
In any case, there is merit in going round your new wheel with a small sheet of emery paper and smoothing any rough spoke hole edges.
Don't get 16mm rim tape (for 19mm internal width rims), btw, as I have said, it is not wide enough to cover the spoke holes with assurance: it will get pushed sideways too easily.

OP
OP
D

dac

I'll smooth the spoke hole just a little till its smooth. Yes, I understand how the inner tube pressure would seat the rim tape/band snug against the spoke hole surface.
Okay, looks like I'm all set.
Thanks.

OP
OP
D

dac

Okay guys, maybe I don't deserve to ride a bike.

Something isn't right.

I've purchased a 700 (but on the rim it mentions 622x19) wheel - here.
A 700x22mm rim tape/band - here.
A Conti inner tube Tour 28 (700C) ALL (700x32c > 700x47c) - here.
A Schwable 700x38c tyre - here.

The 700x22 rim tape/band has fitted perfectly around the 622x19 wheel. This tells me I'm doing right so far.
However, when I insert my Conti Tour 29 (700c) inner tube and inflate it, it seems a good few inches bigger than my wheel. Or to put it another way, there is a good inch gap between the wheel rim and the inner tube when the tube if fully inflated.
I can't tell if my tyre fits as I need the inner tube to fit first.

What the hell have I done wrong?

C R

Guru
Okay guys, maybe I don't deserve to ride a bike.

Something isn't right.

I've purchased a 700 (but on the rim it mentions 622x19) wheel - here.
A 700x22mm rim tape/band - here.
A Conti inner tube Tour 28 (700C) ALL (700x32c > 700x47c) - here.
A Schwable 700x38c tyre - here.

The 700x22 rim tape/band has fitted perfectly around the 622x19 wheel. This tells me I'm doing right so far.
However, when I insert my Conti Tour 29 (700c) inner tube and inflate it, it seems a good few inches bigger than my wheel. Or to put it another way, there is a good inch gap between the wheel rim and the inner tube when the tube if fully inflated.
I can't tell if my tyre fits as I need the inner tube to fit first.

What the hell have I done wrong?
The inner tube on its own will inflate larger than the tyre, the tyre limits it's size.

OP
OP
D

dac

Yes, I went away and put it all together, and all is fine.
I was just trying to inflate the inner tube alone so to seat the rim tape/band. I've never just inflated the tube alone, I've always inflated the tube with the tyre on.
Panic over :wacko:

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom