Will this wheel be suitable for my needs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I have a standard hybrid bike. The current wheels are 700 and the current tyres are 700x38. The wheels are not quick release. I would like to swap out my current front wheel for a quick release wheel, so I can fit it into my car more comfortably.

I did purchase, on a well known auction site, a front wheel but the seller informed that it would only take tyres up to 25mm width (the seller has been very helpful in this matter). It was my mistake, I didn't realise 700 wheels came in different widths. Anyway...

The seller has stated they have another wheel that would fit my tyre. The seller has stated the wheel is the following:
1) Designed for disc brakes but can be used for rim brakes too (which is what my bike has).
2) It is a front wheel and quick release (which is what I require).
3) The seller has stated the wheel has some scuffs around the rim, from storage, that need smoothing out. I'm a novice with bikes and don't know how to smooth a rim out, or if the wheel is safe for tyre once it has been smoothed.

Please see the attached photos for the wheel.

I can get this wheel for £24 delivered. With the wheel being designed for disc brakes and the scuffs on the rim - should I still buy it? and is it suitable for my tyre size (700x38)?
Do you know of an alternative quick release front wheel with black rim and black spokes, suitable for 700x38 tyres for sale? It doesn't need to be light or fancy. Just safe!
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 6
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 5
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 4

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be fine, looks like it has a surface for the rim brake pads which is not curved like some disc rims. The only thing you need to check is the width between the dropouts on your fork and the new hub, should be the same.
Those scratches will come out with fine emery paper.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
The wheel you bought - are you returning it or keeping it?
You might be able to swap the axles from the new wheel into the old wheel?
Alternatively, just buy a hollow axle for your old wheels and a qr skewer?

Or get a bigger car!

Joking apart, I can get my bike into the back of the car, by just folding the rear seats forward and putting the bike in with the front wheel at the rear and at 90 degrees to the bike.

Finally, I have QR wheels and nutted wheels. The only advantage of the QR is that you don't have to carry a spanner with you. In many ways, the nutted axle is easier than a QR axle. Front forks have raised lips, which are supposed to add safety. But you have to first use the QR lever to release the tension, then rotate it anti-clockwise about 3 revolutions to allow the wheel to drop out. Putting it back is the reverse. You have to rotate the QR lever about 3 revs to get the tension just right to enable the lever to be closed and tighten up fully. Often is the case that you don't get the tension just right and you have to rotate the lever a little bit more or slacken it before tightening it fully with the lever.

With nutted axles, you just undo the nuts and to refit, just tighten them up.

And as your rear wheel is still a nutted axle, you would have to carry a spanner with you anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: dac

Ajax Bay

Guru
My comment will be (a bit) shorter than @Sharky 's 'in praise of nuts' post ^_^ .
It's indisputably easier to take a wheel off with a QR axle than nutted: the OP thinks that this will allow the bike to be fitted into their car more easily: who are we to disagree?
You haven't shared some details of the wheel so we can't answer some of the questions. To run 622-38 tyres (current ones) the internal rim width should be no less than 19mm (622-19). The one you have bought / were going to buy (unclear) is probably 622-15.
From the image I'd say the scuffs could be 'polished out' successfully (emery paper: sufficiently smooth): you would not notice any aberration during (rim) braking (and there's no safety issue).
The width of the hub will almost certainly (need to) be 100mm.
Buying a wheel with a (fitted for) disc hub will mean it's a bit heavier and the wheel will be dished so not quite as strong as a 'normally' hubbed wheel. But of small consequence. As Roger has implied, it might look a little odd to some: depends who you consort with.
I assume the current rear wheel has black spokes and rim, so that the imaged one would 'match'.
£24 delivered sounds a reasonable price. You wouldn't have to pay that much more to get one without scuffs. The status of your initial buy (ie can the seller just send you this in place of the one you 'bought') may sway your decision.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thank you for all your replies. They have been helpful.
I have purchased the wheel (the wheel that won't fit my tyre) but it hasn't been sent yet and won't now as it won't fit my tyre. The seller says they can send out to me, in replacement of the incorrect wheel, the wheel I have shown in the photos, or I can just cancel the whole order. As I say, the seller has been very helpful.

Unless all questions came back stating all is fine, I'll be worried that some accident may happen due to the slight differences the disc wheel has. I wouldn't be comfortable measuring dropouts, hubs, etc.. Or if I didn't file down the scuff properly it may puncture the inner tube.

Thanks for the info on Rutland selling the same wheel. Now I know I can get a perfect conditioned one for £30.

Yes the rear wheel has a black rim with black spokes, so I would like the front to match. I do require it to be a QR wheel.

May I ask if you all, with your 'commentator's eye', if you know of a front wheel available (that is QR, with a black rim and spoke, that fits a 700x38 tyre) for me and where I can fit it? I'm not being lazy when I ask, as I have been searching myself, but the wheels I see, I do not know if they are suitable for my tyre - hence mistakenly ordering the original incorrect size wheel. You guys may know of a suitable wheel that is plain but safe for £15 - if so, I'll take that. Preferably black rim and spokes but interested to know of a silver one too if its dirt cheap.

Thank you, again.

OP
OP
D

dac

I'd prefer not to visit a shop unless I have to, at this present time.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The seller says they can send out to me, in replacement of the incorrect wheel, the wheel I have shown in the photos,
Unless all questions came back stating all is fine, I'll be worried that some accident may happen due to the slight differences the disc wheel has. I wouldn't be comfortable measuring dropouts, hubs, etc.. Or if I didn't file down the scuff properly it may puncture the inner tube.
The wheel in the images looks fine and seems reasonable value for £24 (even with the scuff). I have offered advice on the scuff: it looks essentially cosmetic and will 'polish (not file) out' easily: there is no chance that this will puncture the inner tube. You don't have to measure your fork dropouts.
Just check (with the seller):
1) that the wheel has an OLN of 100mm (normal for a front wheel)
2) that the internal rim width is 19mm or more (likely the ETRTO designation 622-19 will be printed on the rim - for the seller to read off)
3) that it comes with rim tape (just so you know to get some or take it down to your LBS for them to put some on from their massive roll - will take 2 minutes max).

OP
OP
D

dac

Just another couple of questions.
Is the Schwable Delta Cruiser a decent tyre for leisurely road commuting?
What width rim tape do I require for a 622x19 wheel? Is it 19mm or do I need a lesser width (i.e 16mm)?
Thanks.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The Delta Cruisers are pretty good. Not as sluggish as Marathons, but pretty good p. protection, and can be had for not a lot of £.
I've got them on my ghetto fixie, so they see a lot of potholed urban streets.

Reactions: dac
OP
OP
D

dac

Hi again,
So I did buy this wheel in the end. It's a 622x19 rim.

I purchased some Schwable 700x20mm rim tape, but I was sent 700x22mm :sad:. When I say 'rim tape', I mean more of a rim band, that you stretch over the wheel.

Just measuring the width I need to cover the spoke holes, it looks like I'll only need 16mm (which leave 2mm either side of the spoke holes). However, in having 22mm width rim tape - will this ride up the inside wall of the wheel and interfere with the tyre?

I read something mentioning the clincher line on the inside of the wheel. I can't see any line on the inside. It's flat at the bottom where the spokes are, then bulges out, on either side, at the angle of the flat bit and side wall, then flat as it goes up the side wall.
Not knowing the terminology, it's hard for me to explain. If you take a look at the photo of the wheel, in the link, you can see what I mean. To your trained eye, you should be able to see the bulging bit I refer to on the inside of the rim, between the spoke area and the inside wall.

Is the rim tape suppose to be wide enough to cover the spoke holes but also narrow enough to not go over the bulging angle bit at all?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom