Will this work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I think that maybe this is a potty idea but l would really like to keep my down tube friction shifters but pair them up with a modern rear derailleur and possibly a ten speed cassette. Has anyone tried it , any info. gratefully received !
The shifters :
IMG_0393.jpg

The rear derailleur:
s-l1600.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes, although you'll have to widen the spacing of the rear to accommodate a modern 130mm hub if it's below that.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yes, although you'll have to widen the spacing of the rear to accommodate a modern 130mm hub if it's below that.
Thanks for that DCLane , it would be going on my old steel Coppi so l would have to stretch the rear spacing but l don't see that as a problem .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You may have to ... but it may be possible to squeeze the big (130mm) hub into the smaller dropouts by brute force. I have a bike on which I've done that. I may one day get around to permanently widening (aka "cold setting") it. It does mean that replacing the rear wheel is a bit of a performance, requiring some wrestling skills.

I use an 8 speed 11-32 cassette with friction levers and an Alivio rear mech. Works fine ... with one caveat:

I can't use the teeny tiny 11T sprocket on my 11-32 cassette. There's just not clearance for it. So I just lock out that sprocket with the HI adjuster on the mech. I don't know if you will encounter that problem.

I wonder if a 10sp cassette might be a bit pernickety to change with friction shifters, needing very accurate positioning of the lever. I don't know, I've never tried - but it might be. 8sp is fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Of course it will work on friction shifters BUT you may need to change the crankset to cope with the narrower 10 speed chain.
Good point, thanks ^_^

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You may have to ... but it may be possible to squeeze the big (130mm) hub into the smaller dropouts by brute force. I have a bike on which I've done that. I may one day get around to permanently widening (aka "cold setting") it. It does mean that replacing the rear wheel is a bit of a performance, requiring some wrestling skills.

I use an 8 speed 11-32 cassette with friction levers and an Alivio rear mech. Works fine ... with one caveat:

I can't use the teeny tiny 11T sprocket on my 11-32 cassette. There's just not clearance for it. So I just lock out that sprocket with the HI adjuster on the mech. I don't know if you will encounter that problem.

I wonder if a 10sp cassette might be a bit pernickety to change with friction shifters, needing very accurate positioning of the lever. I don't know, I've never tried - but it might be. 8sp is fine.
Good point, but l guess if l get enough practice in on the trainer gizmo , l won't make a complete hash of it on the road . Ever the optimist ^_^

A system designed for accurate, indexed shifts, using hairy arsed down tube paddles? Yes it could work. Good luck trying to get it to work anything like as well as indexed brifters.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Problems with accurate shifting should be the least of your worries. If it's too much of a fiddle just slap an 8sp cassette on*. I know for a fact that there's no problem with that.

* You can stick 8 and 10 speed cassettes on the same freehub can't you? Someone will probably be along in a minute to point out that you can't and that this is an idiotic suggestion.

Problems with accurate shifting should be the least of your worries. If it's too much of a fiddle just slap an 8sp cassette on*. I know for a fact that there's no problem with that.

* You can stick 8 and 10 speed cassettes on the same freehub can't you? Someone will probably be along in a minute to point out that you can't and that this is an idiotic suggestion.
If you were using the same freehub, an 8 speed would need spacers, the 10 speed would need a spacer, on a latest generation freehub, good luck getting that to work smoothly.

Top Bottom