Will this work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
A system designed for accurate, indexed shifts, using hairy arsed down tube paddles? Yes it could work. Good luck trying to get it to work anything like as well as indexed brifters.
All my other bikes have indexed shifts...this is just me trying to keep trad. stuff on my old Coppi as far as poss. Call me a sentimental old fool .....l don't mind in the least :hyper:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Problems with accurate shifting should be the least of your worries. If it's too much of a fiddle just slap an 8sp cassette on*. I know for a fact that there's no problem with that.

* You can stick 8 and 10 speed cassettes on the same freehub can't you? Someone will probably be along in a minute to point out that you can't and that this is an idiotic suggestion.
Spacers are all that are needed .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
It'll work fine but will take more finesse than friction-shifting 5 or 6 speed due to the close spacing.

In the early days of 6 and 7 speed indexing, some pro riders kept their DT levers on friction so riders in front didn't hear them snicking up the gears ready to jump them.
I like that , and l will keep it in mind as justification for my little scheme !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks for the RJ link.....l haven't got very far yet but l do have a Campag. Record 10spd crankset . This all started because l wanted to winterise a bike but not one of the Vitus . It's all good fun though so far ^_^
Couple of photos of the victim !! I really like this bike but hardly ever ride it so this makeover will get me going again l hope.
IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@woodbutcher , why do you want so many speeds on the back anyway?
The most either of my drop bar bikes has got is six close ratios on my Dawes Jaguar and five wide ratios on my Raleigh Royal. Both with DT shifters of course as they are lugged 531 frames not modern plastic things!
I prefer a six speed freewheel overall, but I'd rather have 14-28 instead of the "sporty" 14-24 that the Dawes came with. The Raleigh freewheel is overly-wide range being a Touring frame. OK on the small front ring, not so OK on the big ring. On a relatively light bike being ridden unladen I feel the "sweet spot" transmission set-up is 6 x 2 and the cogs are far enough spaced to give clean changes without having indexing.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher , why do you want so many speeds on the back anyway?
The most either of my drop bar bikes has got is six close ratios on my Dawes Jaguar and five wide ratios on my Raleigh Royal. Both with DT shifters of course as they are lugged 531 frames not modern plastic things!
I prefer a six speed freewheel overall, but I'd rather have 14-28 instead of the "sporty" 14-24 that the Dawes came with. The Raleigh freewheel is overly-wide range being a Touring frame. OK on the small front ring, not so OK on the big ring. On a relatively light bike being ridden unladen I feel the "sweet spot" transmission set-up is 6 x 2 and the cogs are far enough spaced to give clean changes without having indexing.
I don't have a good practical reason to be honest , it's just that l have a set of wheels with a ten speed cassette and l just fancy seeing what it's like in practice. I've haven't had ten speed before so its curiosity more than anything. and if it proves to be impractical l will stick the cassette on my mountain bike when we go to Sweden next.:whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It's worth a try. The accuracy of shifting might be a little less, because it may be difficult to pick an exact gear. Everything may be pretty close together. When I went to an 8 speed rear, I also went with indexing, just for that reason.

Top Bottom