Williams lightweight project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I like this :becool:

09 Decal Steel.JPG

Gunk

Guru
I am following this with interest, I have a similar vintage bike that I'm thinking of going in a very similar direction with. Although I am going from yellow to metallic ice blue! :laugh:

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
We will have to meet and discuss chainlines. The more I read Sheldon and watch YouTube, the less confident I get.

I'm going to do a temporary build and measure things properly*, but I think a decision will have to be made between using spacers, a different hub or bottom bracket, or simply giving in and going 1x7 rather than 1x1.

* I have measured up with all the components separately and got a chainline out by 9-10 mm, but there are so many potential inaccuracies there that I am going to wait until I can put it all together.

We shall see! If you're anything like me, you will enjoy it :becool:

D

Deleted member 1258

We will have to meet and discuss chainlines. The more I read Sheldon and watch YouTube, the less confident I get.

I'm going to do a temporary build and measure things properly*, but I think a decision will have to be made between using spacers, a different hub or bottom bracket, or simply giving in and going 1x7 rather than 1x1.

* I have measured up with all the components separately and got a chainline o

out by 9-10 mm, but there are so many potential inaccuracies there that I am going to wait until I can put it all together.

We shall see! If you're anything like me, you will enjoy it :becool:

In the past I've corrected a small chainline error on a fixed just by moving the chainring from the outside to the inside of the spider. Nice yellow by the way.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
In the past I've corrected a small chainline error on a fixed just by moving the chainring from the outside to the inside of the spider. Nice yellow by the way.

As it's a build on a bare frame, I have no existing kit to 're-use', so I have bought a single 44T chainset - which will not be adjustable. But it does seem to be set fairly close to the frame, so maybe any misalignment of the chainline won't be too drastic. And I am using 3/32nd chain, so that will hopefully tolerate misalignment a bit better than 1/8th.

Thanks - I love the colour!

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Thanks! I've just finished a week of nights, with lousy weather during the days, so nothing done since last post. But I have a few days free now, and will be dodging the showers and trying to get a couple of lacquer coats on.

I have learned a lot about chainlines in the last few days. I hadn't considered it at all (I don't remember having any problems when I converted my 10-speed to fixed in the 80s) but it's turned out to be a big issue. Bsically, I have bought a rear wheel suitable for a gear cluster, and I need to find a way round a chainline which is going to be about 10mm out. Various solutions have been suggested over on the fixed/singlespeed board, and I think I have the answer in an adapter that I have ordered on eBay. The bike may end up with gears (either a 1x7 setup or even a compact 14-speed) but I'm aiming for simple, light and robust to start with. I'm looking forward to riding fixed again after 40 years, though not sure if the hills round here and my 60+ knees and lungs are a good combination. My MTB has a low gear of 26" and I use it :smile:

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
The paint has been allowed to harden for a week now, and is fully cured. Today I have given it a light sanding (with 1200 grit silicon carbide paper used sopping wet) to key the surface ready for the lacquer coat. To be honest, I am delighted with how it is looking. It's now a lovely even matte finish, and the light sanding has removed almost all the small blemishes that were there after the paint stage. There are still two marks I'm not happy with, but they are not very visible and only I know where they are, so I am leaving well alone.

Now waiting for a dry and calm day so I can make a start with the lacquer.

10 Keyed for lacquer (4).JPG

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I don't think I can create a poll in an existing thread, but I'm looking for opinions.

See the frame image above this post. I want to line the lugs to give the frame paint a bit of pop.

Lug lining colour - black, white, red or blue?

Saddle and bars will be black, so nothing to co-ordinate with. Just what colour would look best with Fiat Broom Yellow?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Well, I have had a go with black (my preferred choice unless I am persuaded otherwise) and I'm not happy. In the spirit of honesty and lack of ego, here's a pic of my first effort at lug lining. It's f*cking awful and I am going to paint over it. I used an oil-based Sharpie (general internet opinion: the easiest, most foolproof way) and I hate it. I may get some enamel paint and a fine brush and have another go, but at the moment I am thinking 'leave well alone'. Black on yellow is so stark that it has to be perfect or nothing. Maybe blue or green might have been better!

More tomorrow when the drink has worn off and the paint and lacquer have dried.

12 Lug lining first effort.JPG

Top Bottom