Wiltshire to Santander spain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

Hard choice. how strong are we talking? I also like the idea of heading away from home towards then sun. I think there is more motivation then heading back to england.

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
Sounds like a long way, did you consider flying instead?

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

No disrespect. But isnt a tourer cycling forum suppose to be about hard work and effort to enjoy place that most poeple would not cycle to?

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

Russ. I think he missed the joke.lol.
Maybe I did. I'm currently at work and probably shouldnt be on here. So a little worried of the apperance of my boss!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
also another question. what are french roads like to cycle on? are the safer then british road? and which month would you reccomend june/july/august/september?

again I appreicate everyone's help

Thanks again
John

Generally the French roads are good to excellent. Some villages can have pot-holes, but on the whole I'd say French roads are more cyclable than British ones. Also, the French drivers, although very agressive amongst themselves at times, are generally very courteous to cyclists.
I cycled from my house in Amiens (which isn't that far from Wiltshire - which is where I'm from by the way!) to Barcelona. I can only echo what most have already said. I did this ride on a racing bike - it was in the days before I had a touring bike. I did have a few issues - mostly related to the fact that racers aren't built to carry heavy loads. I only had two chainrings and I managed it - but it was very hard work in places - three rings is very useful.
Concerning wind. When most people refer to wind in France they're thinking of the Mistral. This is a wind that blows down the Rhône valley and doesn't affect the west of France. However, the South West, particularly in the Narbonne area, can be a very windy place indeed. To give you an idea, I had my glasses blown off my face and sent flying away like a kite. I never saw them again! There is no real prevailing wind in this area - and that's partly what makes it difficult from a cyclist point-of-view: the winds can be very strong and very unpredictable. You may have to do as I did and sit it out for a couple of days; on the other hand, you may get lucky and not see any wind at all. That's the south; in the North, in this area anyway, the prevailing wind is generally north to south, so you're going the right way in this part of France.
Have you seen my tips for cycling in France page? Some of your questions might be answered there.

chrsfrm

John, don't worry about that. Keep on planning. I still think I'll go N-S as I think the return sea crossing will then be more of a celebration...and the bar will be open. Chris.

Jmenorton

How long did it take you jimmy, im trying to figure out how long it would take to get from Rotterdam to Santander.

Top Bottom