Wiltshire to Santander spain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Flower

Hello.

I have never toured before and have recently brought a road bike(focus variado 3.0). I have always wanted to cycle to spain and would like some advice from people who have down this sort of cycle before. I am looking to do it next july/august/september time depending on what time off I can take from work. I might do alone or maybe if anyone would like to join me? I would also like to do this for charity.

1, Do you think this bike is good enough to tour if i fit panniers etc.

2,Is it suitible to cycle by myself

3,I am relativley fit. what do you think is reasonable milage to do per day? maybe have rest days?

4, does anyone know of any routes to take? or could recommend what they would do for this cycle?

5. Do many tourers cycle with cleats or flat pedals?

At present I am not very prepare for this tour as I have never done this before and not sure on what questions to ask.

If anyone could help me that would be fantastic.

Thank you for your help

John

jakegil

Hi John

I do not claim to be an expert. I did some comedy touring with my Dad years and years ago but have recently been getting my bike and kit together for touring. I have done loads of research and have a good friend who I consider to be an expert.

So....

1. I would not consider touring on my road bike partly because I could not fit panniers or mud guards and I wouldn't be comfortable with the bike supporting that much weight. But that's not to say it's not possible if you pack light (very light). How much kit are you planning on taking? Also the gear ratios might be all wrong. I went out fully loaded at the weekend for the first time and had to use my middle ring and that's a 32 on a route that I wouldn't have to not loaded. Do you have a double or triple chainset?

2. Up to you if you go alone. Only you can know if you are happy on your own. I would suggest maybe going with someone else if it's your first tour.

3. Difficult to say about mileage. Many people cover 60 a day (or less!) with other pushing 100+. Plan a route with some scope for rest days or days that you might not cover so many miles. Depends on the terrain and the wind!

4. Not sure about routes, but I like the idea of having a vague plan and then making it up as you go along.

5. Many people seem to use flats but I prefer clipless as I find them useful on climbs. There is a whole discussion on pedals http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-pedals-for-touring.109611/

Hope this helps

Jake

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

Hello Jake.

Thank you for your advice

1. I have not yet thought of what kit I will take as it is very early into my preperation. however I think I would like to camp. so tent + cooking would be needed. The bike has a double chain set.

2. I agree for first tour I go with company.

3. I think 50- 60 miles a day sounds good to me.

4.Good Idea for the plan. I always imagined having to have a detailed route

5. I have clipless on my bike at the moment. So I think I will stick with them.

Thanks again. I have wanted to do this cycle since I was 16, I'm now 21 so I have no excuse not to do it.

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

That is very interesting. I'm not sure if i could travel that light for my first tour. but maybe I could use his information to help me. Thanks again

doog

If you are intending to take camping and cooking gear and go "fully loaded" I wouldnt recommend a road bike for the simple reason that the rear wheel may not take the weight (spoke breakage). In addition can the bike take panniers racks? What about mudguards, does it have enough clearance? You are young but 10 days / 2 weeks on a road bike may prove uncomfortable. Also think about the gearing, France is lumpy - probably need a triple rather than a double as well.

Do you have the camping kit? You ideally will need a lightweight tent (2 person sub 2kg) , lightweight mat and sleeping bag, panniers etc.

It is totally suitable to do by yourself, I have done Spain to the UK alone and dont speak a word of Spanish or French, you might have more fun with a friend it depends on what sort of person you are and if you like your own company.

Mileage - 60 -100 a day at your age no problem.

Routes - for flattish stick to the West Coast but interesting working out a route on google maps.

Pedals - I use spd's - just like to be clipped in.

Its great fun planning and exciting too- there are masses of info on all aspects of touring ie bikes, tents, routes, maps but I would reconsider the bike if you are taking lots of kit.

best of luck

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you can I'd get a different bike as doog says. I started out on an mtb which had low gearing for the both hills and weight you'll be carrying. On the road bike with a 39 x 25(?) it will be bloody hard work and wrong geometry but still possible.
Get some lightweight kit for your Christmas and birthday presents over the next year.
I enjoy looking at the maps over the dark winterdays and roughing out a route, seeing where the campsites are and finding places I'd like to visit. The route itself I fine tune on a day to day basis depending on weather, fitness and whim. It's more fun that way.
This is a useful campsite guide for France
http://en.camping.info/

Jmenorton

Im planning a similar trip for next summer, starting in Manchester, and thinking about getting the ferry to Rotterdam, than meandering my way down to Santander over about 5 weeks.
I have a CX bike, but have been playing with gearing recently, currently got an xt derailleur and a 11-36 rear cassette with a 46/36 up front, it all seems to work smoothly after some tinkering. Im only using rear panniers and a handlebar bag, with camping gear on the rack. Also planning on a new rear wheel just to be on the safe side, if your bike doesn't have upper rack mounts, i use one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mpart-single-bolt-seat-post-clamp-with-rack-mount/.
Im planning for about 50-60 miles average. Im planning a detailed route for the Garmin, but taking maps as well, do the Michelin maps show campsites and hostels?
As for taking cooking gear, i dont think ill bother, i dont drink tea or coffee, and im sure there will be no shortage of places to eat. Also my first tour of any kind.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Michelin maps no longer show campsites in France AFAIK.

MarkF

Guru
1. Maybe it's too good to tour on? Why not get a "trip" bike and sell it after? With weight I'd want fatter tyres, I did Spain on a hybrid but intend to do it on a Triban 3 next year, with a rack, 28mm's and 4kg of luggage. I sold my "trip" bike at a profit, after 1000 miles.

2. I'd definitely choose to do it by myself. But I know others who like company.

3. 60 gives plenty of time to look around and enjoy yourself. A friend of mine is cycling to Basle, aiming for 120miles per day. What sort of trip do you want it to be? The first 30 miles of Bilbao to Santander is very bumpy indeed, still, my 56 year old cousin managed it on a 2 ring hybrid.

4. No, I never have route planned, just (usually) the destination, more fun. Others plan to the last detail.

5. I used toe clips. I did a lot of walking as well as cycling, plus plenty of City sightseeing, hopping on and off the bike umpteen times.

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

Thank you for all you advice.

I'm pretty new when it comes to bikes. I've only had my road bike for a few weeks now. So I'm not 100% familiar with the set ups.

If I did purchase a bike for touring what sort of bike would you recommend? what the difference between a road race and a touring? I assume its to do with the strength and gearing?

Thanks again

Jmenorton

The issue with road bikes, is chainstay length, they tend to be shorter on road bikes and that can lead to your heels hitting the rear panniers, this isn't an issue on mine, whether its because my frames very large 61cm or i just got lucky i dont know. If you can try a rack and panniers on your bike and have adequate clearance, i dont see why you cant tour on your road bike , maybe a derailleur change, and fit the fattest tires clearance will allow.

If you are financially able to get a new touring bike, than by all means go for it, you can never have to many. But a dedicated tourer isn't necessary.

I think after ive done my tour, i might look into a dedicated tourer, the one thats caught my eye so far has been the Surly Disc Trucker.

I think you'd get away with using the focus as long as you went very minimalist with your camping gear. Gearing wise it depends on your route. If you go down the west coast it's pretty flat 'till you get to Spain then up and down but nothing too long or steep so fitting a 34/50 compact chainset (if it's not already got one) would do. If you head through central France and over the Pyrenees you might need some lower gearing depending on your fitness and the weight you're carrying.
We've done both routes (but South to North) and whilst it may be a lot easier, the West coast option is a bit boring. There's a report on the route we did this summer here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/11266 and you'll also find lots of other usefull stuff on that site.

OP
OP
John Flower

John Flower

okay so on a race bike it doable but not reccomended.

I think I will speak to the shop where I brought my bike to see if the think its possible to fit panniers etc to my bike. Thanks again to everyone for your advice, It has given me something to think about and a few things that I didnt think about.

I think I will look at my budget and see wether I buy a tourer or go minimal on my race bike. Thanks again to everyone

Top Bottom