Wimbledon 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
And such a nice bloke if you saw the interview with Sue Barker

And it's not just him. Djokovic & Nadal are also really pleasant, respectful and thoroughly mature people too. Also Cilic. The sport is currently blessed with a host of decent people in its upper echelons.

MikeG

Guru
You're not middle class if you have to work, that's working class. Middle classes live off inheritances, investments and property portfolios.

This is a joke, right?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Do you work to make your living? Then you're working class. It's only vanity and ego that let's some working class think they're better than the rest.

AndyRM

XOXO
And it's not just him. Djokovic & Nadal are also really pleasant, respectful and thoroughly mature people too. Also Cilic. The sport is currently blessed with a host of decent people in its upper echelons.

Unfortunately there's also Kyrgios, who is a fud.

MikeG

Guru
Do you work to make your living? Then you're working class. It's only vanity and ego that let's some working class think they're better than the rest.

No, it absolutely is not. This is a matter of exclusion, not inclusion. If I (an architect) said to a bus driver or a hair dresser or a factory shift worker, or a builder's labourer "I'm working class", what do you think their reaction would be?

Joey Shabadoo

No, it absolutely is not. This is a matter of exclusion, not inclusion. If I (an architect) said to a bus driver or a hair dresser or a factory shift worker, or a builder's labourer "I'm working class", what do you think their reaction would be?

I'm only being slightly tongue-in-cheek but do you really define yourself by what other people may think?

AndyRM

XOXO
Luckily, he's rather a long way from the top of the sport.

Disagree. He's up there, and will win a major before too long.

Joey Shabadoo

Disagree. He's up there, and will win a major before too long.

Do you think he's get the mental strength to do it? There's a lot of players with great technical ability and they can often take a set or two off the top four but they rarely sustain it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Do you think he's get the mental strength to do it? There's a lot of players with great technical ability and they can often take a set or two off the top four but they rarely sustain it.

That's the only aspect of his game that's missing. Murray managed to get it sussed and I reckon Kyrgios can as well - he's got plenty of time to do it too.

MikeG

Guru
I'm only being slightly tongue-in-cheek but do you really define yourself by what other people may think?

I don't define myself at all. I think the English class system is hilarious and stupid (I lived abroad until I was 14 so saw how other countries do things). However, I understand it well, and understand also that working class folk are generally very proud to be working class, and would consider someone like me, with a professional career and university qualifications coming out of my ears, as anything but working class. I also subscribe to the notion that "words have meanings", and that you don't get to define them how you want. If everyone else in the country has a definition of the phrase that differs from yours, then you, I'm afraid, are the one who should consider whether you've got it right (and I say this fully aware that you are making a perfectly valid point).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't define myself at all. I think the English class system is hilarious and stupid (I lived abroad until I was 14 so saw how other countries do things). However, I understand it well, and understand also that working class folk are generally very proud to be working class, and would consider someone like me, with a professional career and university qualifications coming out of my ears, as anything but working class. I also subscribe to the notion that "words have meanings", and that you don't get to define them how you want. If everyone else in the country has a definition of the phrase that differs from yours, then you, I'm afraid, are the one who should consider whether you've got it right (and I say this fully aware that you are making a perfectly valid point).

That nice Mr Federer would have handled it better.

Joey Shabadoo

I get it all the time. I've been a labourer, I've been a manager, I've been a boss, I've been a business owner - end of the day I'm a working stiff just like everyone else who needs a pay cheque at the end of the month. Some people obsess about their social standing and need ever more tightly defined boxes to pigeon-hole people into. <shrug>

Top Bottom