WINCHESTER and there abouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
I will have a day there next week. Any thoughts re routes, places to go and places to avoid will be appreciated. As always places to go includes lunch and other stops.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Visit the cathedral. The Norman part is really good. Also, a tour of Winchester College ( founded 1382) is interesting. You'll find the tours start at the gate in College Street. The Wykeham Arms pub nearby does good food. Pretty much everything worth visiting is within walking distance of each other.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Those all all good suggestions for Winchester but I was thinking more about cycling around the area whilst wife and daughter are engaged in other activities.

kipster

Guru
It's on cycle route 23, you could head north towards Basingstoke or south to the coast. Looking at the map, heading north takes in some nice villages and you can turn back before Basingstoke as Winchester is a nicer place! Don't really know what the routes are like south of Winchester. How many miles are you looking to do?

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
I have spoken to an old friend who knows the area (but not as a cyclist) and I now have in mind a loop to the SE to E/W Meon say 75k. Nothing v strenuous.

What is the condition of the of the 23? Passable on skinny tyres?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Some of the minor roads- well, a lot of them- in the Meon valley basically consist of potholes either side of a large pile of gravel. Great scenery though. Avoid Basingstoke ;) Whitchurch & Kingsclere both have excellent lunch stop options.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
The Test Valley which runs to the West of Winchester is lovely.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
lovely countryside for a long bike ride. lousy road surfaces. The Test and Meon valleys are, as others have said your best bet, unless to take an mtb and hit the SDW.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
lovely countryside for a long bike ride. lousy road surfaces. The Test and Meon valleys are, as others have said your best bet, unless to take an mtb and hit the SDW.
Some of the minor roads- well, a lot of them- in the Meon valley basically consist of potholes either side of a large pile of gravel. Great scenery though. Avoid Basingstoke ;) Whitchurch & Kingsclere both have excellent lunch stop options.
You lot dont know when you're well off - much better surfaces than Bucks and Berks!

puch

Regular
I'd recommend going down the A272 to the West Meon Hut (crossroads) then south on the A32 all the way to Wickham. Further south, parallel to the M27 is Nine Elms Lane which will take you to Portsdown Hill - nice view over the Solent - weather permitting.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Thanks everybody. trip delayed until next week so I am hoping that the current fine weather persists.

puch

Regular
addendum: The Roebuck on the A32 about a mile outside of Wickham, is a good place to refresh.

Top Bottom