Winchester to London (Again) 25th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a postscript, we were lucky enough to meet the racing boa constrictor that is Davywalnuts. he had reserved us all some tables in the garden so that we could bask in sunshine while eating a plate of al fresco and chips. During the previous evening, Davy's dietary preferences came up in conversation and I recounted the tale of his first ride with me...all those malt loaves in a small rucsack...ah memories eh Davy - speeding along the Hayes by Pass. Davy and I have been 'close' for a few years now, and it is with pleasure that I reveal the source of his kebabapaedia. This van was parked under his window, dispensing delicacies at that 'certain hour' ie: when the stagger home from the pub is nigh on complete, or the midnight munchies take a hold...the scents wafting through the bedroom window was often too hot to handle for the Davy nasal organ...Here is man and trophy, with Igor the dispenser of warm pouches.:smile:
IMG_4783.JPG

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Better late than never. Thoroughly enjoyed both legs of this one - an almost completely deserted A30 going down. Would have been interesting to make the route down via Stonehenge as alluded to on past rides. That would have been spooky in the early hours.
A testing, wiggly ride back that went up and down quite a lot through some wonderful lanes and villages.
Thank you all, and well done to Chanelle, who on the surface at any rate, showed a brave face from her mishap early in the day.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Anyhow, great lil ride that was, througherly enjoyed the trip down and the looks of astonishment that I was in that neck on the woods and hills from passing cyclist at me riding a fixie, was much fun.

Great to meet newbies and the old folk and am hoping CharlieB's wife appeals to her better nature as I am sure he now wants a n+1 after have a ride on my, ahem, toy bike, ahem!!

I like that pub. Bit on the posher side of prices, but nice none the less.

Now, back to that hill, Whitedown lane.. put it this way, ild consider Ditchling on the fixie, but not that beast.. I was looking at my speed and noting down the days figures once I had got home and dried off and was shocked to see a top speed of 35.7mph... now, by my scheme of things, thats slow, but on the fixie, that makes my rpm at 152 and that was going down the shallower part of that hill... my head, was actually in front of the front wheel on the steepest parts going down.. yuck!

Hi everyone!!

I just wanted to thank you all for your support on Saturday! I was very impressed with your rapid first aid skills and would never have made it to Woking if it wasn't for a number of you encouraging me on! Sorry that I slowed the pace down a little, I hope that you will let us join you again, as we really enjoyed ourselves!!!

Update on my injuries; leg is scratched to pieces and bruised but healing fine. Arm on the other hand is not as happy! Went to A and E on Saturday evening to check it wasn't broken; waited 3 hours before I felt too tired and dismissed myself before having an X-ray! Was in lots of pain on Sunday and it started to look very red and swollen, so went back to hospital on Monday; had an x-ray this time which revealed no broken bones but LOTS of gravel inside my arm! Was sent home with a weeks course of antibiotics and an evil looking 'scrubber' to clean my wound. Dan had the pleasure of picking out the gravel last night and I am now hoping the infection subsides ASAP!

Pictures to follow later, once I've braved taking my dressing off again!!

rb58

Enigma
Glad you're healing well Chanelle. And glad you and Dan both enjoyed yourselves too. It's always good to welcome new folks to a Cycle Chat ride. I thought you both rode very strongly, so you have nothing to apologise for. You should check out a FNRttC and (as you're in central London) the Sunday London Ride which you'd probably enjoy too. (There are Cycle Chat threads for both).
Cheers
Ross

Hi everyone!!

I just wanted to thank you all for your support on Saturday! I was very impressed with your rapid first aid skills and would never have made it to Woking if it wasn't for a number of you encouraging me on! Sorry that I slowed the pace down a little, I hope that you will let us join you again, as we really enjoyed ourselves!!!

Update on my injuries; leg is scratched to pieces and bruised but healing fine. Arm on the other hand is not as happy! Went to A and E on Saturday evening to check it wasn't broken; waited 3 hours before I felt too tired and dismissed myself before having an X-ray! Was in lots of pain on Sunday and it started to look very red and swollen, so went back to hospital on Monday; had an x-ray this time which revealed no broken bones but LOTS of gravel inside my arm! Was sent home with a weeks course of antibiotics and an evil looking 'scrubber' to clean my wound. Dan had the pleasure of picking out the gravel last night and I am now hoping the infection subsides ASAP!

Pictures to follow later, once I've braved taking my dressing off again!!
Good stuff!
The wet was not a problem to our intrepid voyager with her lucky charms...even easier after the road rash baptism as she would have been a 'cross Chanelle fairy'. But hey! Brave person - and Dan too, for recovering the tarmac from your arm. Make sure it finds its way back to Hampshire Council, Roads Dept. :smile:
As Ross mentions, there are various playtimes to chose from...probably you'll be up for the SMRbtH while First Dan lolls around at the various waterfront bars familiarising himself with the cycling etiquette that prevails among all the 'soaks'.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Glad you're healing well Chanelle. And glad you and Dan both enjoyed yourselves too. It's always good to welcome new folks to a Cycle Chat ride. I thought you both rode very strongly, so you have nothing to apologise for. You should check out a FNRttC and (as you're in central London) the Sunday London Ride which you'd probably enjoy too. (There are Cycle Chat threads for both).
Cheers
Ross
Wot he says ^^^

I'd certainly give some thought to an FNRttC before your mammoth Newcastle trip as it'll give you some practice at night riding.

Keep an eye on the Informal Rides forum as there's frequently rides posted up in there for example there's currently a Southsea ride and a ride to Lewes/Bexhill in Sept. There's also a run round the Olympic Road Race route on 20th Sept (Thursday)

Hi everyone, hope you are all well!

Dan and I are ready for our big cycle this weekend coming! We've put some serious mileage in since we last saw you and feel like it's actually possible!! I thought you might be interested to look through our route, just incase you could be tempted to join us for any of it! Let me know if you could be tempted and I can send you the timings of our weekend, so you know when we will be where.

http://goo.gl/maps/eLI9p

Oh, and lastly, you will be impressed to know gunk and debris are still coming out my elbow! I piece of bark exploded out while a was teaching this morning- lovely!

Here is a pic of it a few weeks ago; AFTER my 10 day antibiotic course...

Dan and I are ready for our big cycle this weekend coming! We've put some serious mileage in since we last saw you and feel like it's actually possible!! I thought you might be interested to look through our route, just incase you could be tempted to join us for any of it! Let me know if you could be tempted and I can send you the timings of our weekend, so you know when we will be where.

Unless you've got a specific reason for the route after St Albans, going off via North Mymms and the A1000, I'd urge you to reconsider. That whole stretch down to North Barnet isn't very wide and isn't fun to cycle on, due to the traffic. Seeing as you're reversing the route of the 1st day of LonJog, after St Albans, I'd just stick on the A5183/A5, or if you want some lanes, the B5378, and then cut across around Mill Hill to end up in East Finchley.

Unless you've got a specific reason for the route after St Albans, going off via North Mymms and the A1000, I'd urge you to reconsider. That whole stretch of the A1000 down to North Barnet isn't very wide and isn't fun to cycle on, due to the traffic. After you cross the A1(M) on Tollgate Road, turn right onto a lovely lane parallel to the motorway heading south and then cut through Dancers Hill to North Barnet.

Alternatively, if you want a slightly shorter route, seeing as you're reversing the route of the 1st day of LonJog, after St Albans, either just stick on the A5183/A5 for a bit, or if you want some lanes, the B5378, and then cut across around Mill Hill to end up in East Finchley.

Top Bottom