Winchester to London (Again) 25th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
I think I'll file that ride under 'challenging'. But it was worth the effort. It's a cracking route and really deserves sunshine and cloudless skies.

I had a pre-taste of what was to come when I had to deal with a puncture in Deptford (not an ideal place to puncture) on my way up to HPC for the start - and just at the time the heavens opened causing me to arrive at the rendevous soaked to my toes. The puncture made me late for the off, so I didn't get much chance to try and persuade Sonia to make the trip with us - she had come to wave us off, but had some feeble excuse along the lines of only having one gear on her bike. Nice to see you though Sonia. Maybe next time we'll peruade you to come too! (perhaps if we all only had one gear on our bike next time you might come along?)

So, the mini-peloton of Charlie, Mark, myself and a double helping of Martins headed out of The Smoke. And not down the Cromwell Road. I have to say I was a little nervous of Tall Martin's chosen route down to Winchester - A30 - but it was splendid. Thank you Martin! We were guided out of central London by Big Martin, then it was empty roads all the way. No hills and pretty good road surfaces made for good going. And the threatened headwind didn't materialise until we were almost in Winchester, although when it arrived it was accompanied by the first of only two significant downpours on the ride, which ensured we arrived nice and wet. We spent a pleasant half an hour or at an all night garage drinking coffee and consuming various M&S fare watching a succession of mildly drunk people arrive in taxis to grab a post-session sandwich whilst the cab waited outside for them. Quite funny really - they obviuously don't have kebab shops in that part of Surrey, only M&S will do.

Cappuccinos at the station cafe were taken, before we decamped to McDonalds for a couple of hours of porridge and assorted other fare, as well as power naps, glove/sock/hat drying. Pete duly arrived and brought with him blue skies and a sense of direction and we made our way back to the station for The Main Event. It's always good to meet new riders, so a big welcome to Chanelle and Dan. And Dan too. And old friends as well, Eddie! Pete guided us expertly through the 'tunnel' and then we were out in the country proper. Along lovely rolling lanes; past the Watercress beds before the head of the ride were fortunate to arrive at the Watercress line just as one the steam trains passed under the bridge. A Magic Moment. We stopped to admire "God's golf balls" and trundled onwards. Picture box villages, gentle climbs led to descents made challening by the amount of rain-washed debris on the road. Along the way, punctures were dealt with, Chanelle took a tumble - although this did seem to galvanise her effort and I take my hat off to her as she seemed to get stronger as the ride lengthened; and friends departed. Firstly Pete who headed off to a family celebration, then when we did eventually arrive at Gomshall for lunch - to tables expertly reserved for us by Davy - Mark, Charlie and Tall Martin headed homeward, leaving just 6 of us to continue on to Box Hill.

We left Davy at Gomshall waiting for the newly arrived rain to stop - I think he may have been there for some time! Eschewing White Downs Lane on the grounds that there would be likely be too much debris, we headed straight for Dorking where the rain finally got to Chanelle and Dan who opted for the train option, assisted by Martin. Leaving three of us to tackle Boxhill - me, Eddie. And Dan too. The rain stopped, the hill was conquered and Chipstead Valley road was a traffic-free delight (road closed to cars) and we made quick time to Croydon and trains for Eddie. And Dan too. And there was just me.

I made it home at 7pm. Still wet, just a bit tired. And very dirty. But very content. 175 miles on the clock.

The learning? Two things. Have a contingency plan for a food stop if the ride gets slow (although I was loathe to abandon Davy who was waiting for us). Skin is waterproof.

A big thank you to all who came along for your cheery good spirits in adversity. And your company. To people who marked the corners - especially Eddie, Charlie and Mark who took more than their fair share - thank you. To Pete for sparing us a repeat of last year's 'tour de roundabout' and getting us out of Winchester - thank you - I hope the party was good.

And Chanelle. We need photos!

Keep pedalling folks.

Ross

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Damn it, only just seen the posts by Davy and tall Martin- I am on here so infrequently I missed them!
Nevermind, next time!

I agree with you about the chocolate box villages, Ross - a lot of thatch (far more than has ever been spotted upon my head for example) and some tremendous formal gardens surrounding impressive residences. If anyone remembers it, I particularly liked the massive chalet style residence that looked as though it was made of teak throughout...although I wouldn't be fussy if I ended up with a sprawling cottage painted in Orchid White with Eau-de-nil shutters and garage doors, Bentley in the drive, ride-on lawnmower parked by the back door as the gardener was eating breakfast served by the maid as the butler was cleaning his wellingtons...that sort of life I could get used to again :rolleyes:
Don't be shy about revealing the results of you 'Googlegoggles' TallMart - otherwise we will 'have to elaborate' :smile:
My legs today were there in spirit only.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh yes I'd forgotten about Google Goggles. For those of you not in the know, Google Goggles is an app where, theoretically, you point your phone camera at an object and the app tells you what it is. So a Rubin statue for example or a Turner painting. It is also rumoured to work on everyday objects. However I pointed it at some mysterious listening station type white balls and was offered a choice of deckchair, flipflops or something else.

I still haven't discovered that the place is. Unsurprisingly, Google Maps does not name it. It's just outside Oakhanger if anyone else wants to investigate.

An Anglepoise lamp was the third one! Close but no cigar golfball. :smile: Who cares - it was all good fun, you misery. Dorking Station was a welcome refuge for Chanelle, Dan and self. Our peace was only spoiled by Timmy Toybike, who joined the train to Raynes Park, having decided to risk the rain eventually.
At Waterloo there followed an epic verbal with a 'revenue protection officer' - only terminated by a) my offer to buy three Clapham Junction to Waterloo legs and b) by instructing my 'lawyer' (Dan) to "write immediately to Boris Johnson and expose this farce" etc.
I'm sure it was just the employee's good nature and Chanell's pleading look that won the day though - he fetched the keys and let us out gratis. A ticket to 'All London Terminals' does not necessarily mean being able to travel from Dorking to Waterloo...that well-known suburban station.:rolleyes:

I felt sure it was a design guru listening station...hence the anglepoise, flip-flops and deckchair options arriving on TallMart's 'phone! :smile:

dand_uk

Hey guys thanks for leading a great ride! It was nice to just ride without having to check the map at every junction.

The route was quiet and scenic and I enjoyed tackling box hill, it's just a shame that the weather was pants!

Was good to meet you all too. Considering joining a FNRTTC now....

Catch ya later.

Well done, Dan! Just for fun, you should have tried a trip to Ashford, Kent and back today, with another bunch of CC herberts...it's tipping down in NW London - I'm sure they will be 'bathed in glorious sunshine'..he heh! Yesterday morning I had to change my pedals because my 'a' pair of road shoes were still seemingly crying...they were too wet to waddle!

Top Bottom