Winchester to London (Again) 25th August 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Was a bit when I got up this morning, but signs of it clearing up now. Off to find some bedraggled CCers shortly.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well, am early and still waiting for everyone to arrive, what's a first! Lovely part of the world this, but going down down whitedown lane, at 5mph, on a fixed gear, scary, very scary! Sod going back up it!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well, am early and still waiting for everyone to arrive, what's a first! Lovely part of the world this, but going down down whitedown lane, at 5mph, on a fixed gear, scary, very scary! Sod going back up it!

You might wait a while. Chanelle had an elbow/tarmac interface moment early on, so could be a bit slow.

Bloody hell!
Thank you, Ross, for leading this ride with talent and aplomb. Leading from the front and seeing it through to the close in Croydon, despite everything that happened.
Iron man - thankfully he suffered fools gladly. :whistle::smile:
A big welcome to Chanelle with First Dan and to Second Dan, from Portsmouth. As Pete mentioned, Chanelle had a nasty fall but recovered and continued until her confidence in the driving rain was tested once too often...the Surrey Hills are unforgiving at the best of times. Once the damage has healed, they'll be back for more. Also new to the party is Dan from Portsmouth...a very competent cyclist. Three new bloods and perfectly suited to the CC/FNR repartie - well done all of you, the weather was sh1t for a lot of the time - starting at 22:30 on Friday and it was still tumbling five mins ago when I cleaned my bicycle. Summertime, when the livin' is easy...
Today's ride was like this:
Winchester 004.jpg2.jpg

And there was a lot of balls along the way. (TallMart's "Google Goggles" were most helpful in identifying this collection of geodesic style domes...he'll explain, I'm sure)
Winchester 003.jpg2.jpg

And a back view (that' all we saw most of the time!) of Ross - super chap and top cyclist.

Winchester 002.jpg2.jpg

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
And a back view (that' all we saw most of the time!) of Ross - super chap and top cyclist.

View attachment 11979
This is a view I am very familiar with. Thanks Ross for taking over and leading such a tough ride. Well done everyone else for completing it.
I look forward to hearing whether you found the tunnel and whether you did Whitedown. I went out for a short ride today with 2 of my sons and we got soaked, so I was thinking of how you were getting on with the weather.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep, well done all.
I only manages to get out for all of 5 minutes today to test ride the new bike...would have loved for it to have done a proper test like this ride.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was quite clearly a tough one....well done guys and gal.

Tunnel found, White Down avoided due to inclement weather (politest way I could put that, Tim) a great route which needed dry weather (it is August ffs :ohmy:) Pete enlightened us on tunnelology and it started off superbly. Ross, Second Dan, Eddie were the hardiest...I left them heading for Box Hill and a downhill in a downpour I suspect. Hard going - some fab. houses to be noseyed at too :rolleyes:
In short, I hate you for killing my legs, Tim.

yep, well done all.
I only manages to get out for all of 5 minutes today to test ride the new bike...would have loved for it to have done a proper test like this ride.
:stop: A few rides first I would suggest - it was an enjoyable tough one, Ian (for me anyway) Ross just munched everything that came his way - like a pac man.
And praise for McDodos - a nice way to spend two and a half hours, warm, super glove and cap hand driers, and coffee.

U

User10571

Sounds like a bit of an epic ride to me.....
Wish I'd been there....

Well done all:thumbsup:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well have now had 12 hours sleep. It was a flipping tough ride, you certainly needed flippers. The ride itself was very good. As Teef nosying at some fantastic houses, would love to know who lives in them and how I can make a place in their will.

Well done to those that completed it. That took more than I had. I think that's only the 2nd ride where I've bailed during the ride but when I'm having lunch at 4pm quite aways from home it makes me incredibly grumpy. When I had to stop myself smacking the barman for being a t****r over the menu I knew it was time to go home. Got the train from Dorking but it was still 7pm when I got in.

Exceptional well done to Chanelle who kept going despite having donated a fair amount of the claret stuff. The hill in Ewhurst (I think) was a toughie but she just kept going.

Mark One

Regular
Feeling better after twelve hours sleep. And I must say it took me nearly that long to clean my bike this morning.

Thanks to all for a great ride there and back. It was a great route in both directions - out for the lack of traffic and quiet roads, and back for some beautiful country lanes. The return leg in particular would be well worth doing again on dry and sunny roads. Well done Tim for designing that ride!

After I left you at the pub, I too wussd out of White Downs on the way home, and (just about) managed Coombe Bottom instead. Then true to form for the weekend, it deluged for the last 45 minutes until I got home.

Big thanks to Ross for your leadership (in both senses of the word) on the ride to London.

Finally, good luck to Chanelle and Dan on your Newcastle to London ride. I hope you stay drier than we all did yesterday!

Top Bottom