wind & rain - at what point do you leave your bike at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
Weathers still wet n windy here in Cumbria so its kept me off the road this week so far,my usual route includes a decent with a vicious cross wind when its windy but throw heavy rain in too and its a no no for me.

david1701

Shorts until temp is less than about 1C. Any thing else is soft. :smile:

I was soft and went with longs, then as punishment I skidded (wet) down this hill and crashed here between the arrows and the red thing. I think the bike is ok, I have some cuts a painful shoulder ans I suspect a bit of a concussion. Oh and pride is slightly wounded, twice this month I need to learn to ride a bike :s

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used draw the line at snow and ice last year when the roads i use were not gritted and it was -10 , now i have a winter hack mtb it will be just a case of man up .........

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You know there are alot on here who come in the hard as f%$£*( bracket when it come to commuting. However lacking common sense! What happens if you get a gust of wind blowing you into traffic or debris blown into your path! I`ve cycled in some atrocious weather like last winter when the first snow hit up here in the central belt but I did question my sanity and the bike was put away till january. Also the Storm Katia is about to hit us up here apparently and once again I`d question the sanity of any rider wanting to go out in that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not raining here right now, but it is windy. I am going to cycle to work, normally I would drive in these conditions being a lily-livered wuss, but my brother has my car so... :wacko:

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I usually make the decision the night before, as I have to get up at 0430 to cycle to work.

That said, if it's howling all night and I have a really bad night's sleep, I might decide against it in the morning (and have an extra 1/2 hr in bed)!

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I need to go into London to pick up my trusty MTB. I locked it up there Friday night having been for a few drinks after work. I had a stagnight to go to Saturday so did not pick it up then. I was a bit tired yesterday understandably so did not pick it up then. The Weddind s today & I was going to pick it up this morning but the winds getting up round here so I'll just have to get it tomorrow. After all I don't particularly relish the thought of being at one with a lorries tire due to a bit side gust.
Tail end of hurricane Fred Bloggs or something today isn't it?

Jonathing

Über Member
I leave my bike at home when I don't have to go to work otherwise it's the only way I have of getting to some of my clients. They live too far from a bus stop to make walking there practical and I don't own a car. I've not been defeated so far and after the Southern Sportive yesterday I don't think that anything short of the actual apocalypse is going to stop me!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I usually make the decision the night before, as I have to get up at 0430 to cycle to work.

That said, if it's howling all night and I have a really bad night's sleep, I might decide against it in the morning (and have an extra 1/2 hr in bed)!

Ditto here new job and the flexibility with the hours means I`m up at the same time as you, so I`m with you on checking weather conditions night before during winter months.

scouserinlondon

I've had to become more of a wuss because I need to get my daughter to nursery in the mornings and will only take her on the back of the bike if it's not raining. Today when I looked out the window the trees were bent double in the wind. The bike stayed in the shed.

I don't mind cold, and if I'm on my own I'll take rain too. I hate the wind though.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
You know there are alot on here who come in the hard as f%$£*( bracket when it come to commuting. However lacking common sense! What happens if you get a gust of wind blowing you into traffic or debris blown into your path! I`ve cycled in some atrocious weather like last winter when the first snow hit up here in the central belt but I did question my sanity and the bike was put away till january. Also the Storm Katia is about to hit us up here apparently and once again I`d question the sanity of any rider wanting to go out in that.
I was wanting to commute tomorrow, but I'm not sure I actually will... stupid gusty and horizontal rain right now (here in Grangemouth), and I doubt that'll change overnight given the forecast :sad: Will evaluate my sanity at 7am tomorrow morning :whistle:

Taken the day off! Decided the quoted 70mph winds a tad too breezy. I admit i wimped out this time, didn't want to risk damage to new bike. :surrender:

Was out during the last hefty breeze, when all public transport got cancelled, and was nearly hit by half a tree! My commute takes me through open countryside.

Then, the normal 30min commute took 80min, only time i've been in the granny ring and never got out it! Apart from that it was great buzz taking on such strong head and crosswinds. One best rides i've had :smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
On the worst day last week, had to get off and walk for a mile on a hilltop.

Was quicker and safer walking than riding in ferocious cross-headwinds.

Today looks worse than that day. Am going to leave the bike at work and catch a train home.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Most of the time i do not have a choice as the wife has the car , with a 4year old and another on the way .No public transport to where i work and i cannot say what time i will finish as we have mandatory overtime that varies from day to day dependent on how well we are running.
There are a couple of guys who will give me a lift if i need one but you do not like to ask to often as it is out of their way and they start/ finish at slightly different times to me assuming they are at work that day.

albion

Guru
For leisure rides its quite exciting. Though I was lucky to have a soft barbed wire fence landing travelling south for the ferry on a typical 60mph Yell day.

Top Bottom