wind & rain - at what point do you leave your bike at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I no longer have the choice to take the car having sold it. My wife and I have one car between us now, and I can't use it for work as she uses it, so wind, rain, ice or snow I'm cycling!

Very windy here on the Fylde too although manageable. The wind info from the airport weather station is saying 34mph with gusts of 45+. It's gonna be quick on the way home. :biggrin:

Only regret I had this morning was not putting the waterproof on. Got it out of the cupboard and put it on a few minutes before setting off, was over heating before I left the house so swapped it for the Featherlite Velo instead. Wasn't raining at the time and was relatively bright considering it was so cloudy. The closer I got to work the blacker the sky went and 15 minutes from work and the heavens opened, sideways rain and hail. Its been a long while since I've cycled in rain like that!

Took on more water than the Titanic. Everything is on the radiator drying off and the shoes have a fan heater blowing on them. Waterproof and a slower pace me thinks if it's the same tomorrow.

Stop cycle commuting due to wind or rain? Not unless I had trouble standing still in the wind, at which point I would realise that cycling would be near impossible.

Fortunately my ride in is short and the majority of it is through narrow side streets and well sheltered, although gusts can be a problem from side roads.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
there's this one bit on my commute where you come out from the cover of some tree's and houses and its open farmers fields, the crosswind here is...fun to say the least lol. hits you like a hammer if its gusty

david1701

25 gusting 40 tomorrow, still need to ride, still a n00bish commuter, this will be interesting I'm riding to a clifftop about 10 miles away too :s

cloggsy

Boardmanist
It isn't the rain which is a nightmare, it's the wind... However, having said that, wind with rain is a pain too!

My alarm went off at 6am, looked out the window & cycling was a no-go. Reset my alarm for 7am & went back to bed...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Missed the rain (just) this morning, at lunch on way back to office, and this evening. Just got into another site this morning, and it absolutely hissed it down. Colleague said the weather report was for 'rather lively showers' - they weren't kidding. :wacko:

Matty

Not as bad as expected here, certainly gusty - I always love the gusts which come from the opposite direction to expected after the wind bounces off a building or similar.

Nowhere near too windy to ride today, but I have stopped before for storm force winds.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The only thing I won't cycle on is ice and snow, the rest is just resistance training.

david1701

quick q tomorrow its 25 gusting 40 and 16 degrees longs or shorts, I change at work (10 hilly miles) so was contemplating longs.....

then if I get chilly add jacket/buff/work t shirt ect :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

When the winds blowing the trees horizontal and I can barely stand up, thats the point when I might leave the bike at home.

beastie

Guru
quick q tomorrow its 25 gusting 40 and 16 degrees longs or shorts, I change at work (10 hilly miles) so was contemplating longs.....

then if I get chilly add jacket/buff/work t shirt ect :biggrin:
Shorts until temp is less than about 1C. Any thing else is soft. :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
trees would need to be horizontal before i didn't ride in to work. I got soaked last night and a visit from PF but hey ho tharts the trials of life i suppose.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 1532878"]
Just get through it. Only time I don't c2w because of weather is if it's snowbound.

Well - apart from that one occasion when mounting the bike I nearly got blown off by a gust so got public transport instead.

[/quote]

rode to work and back in the snow last year. the myth that it never snows in london and all the roads get salted/cleared is inddeed a huge myth. when it froze as it got dark on the 17th december was fun. my knee still aches sometimes and clonks like a goodun after i slid off 200 yds from home , as i thought to myself " hmm maybe i should get off and walk the last bit it looks a bit sliperaaaaaaaay "

Top Bottom