wind & rain - at what point do you leave your bike at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I left the bike at home today.
I usually only ride when the weather's reasonable (no ice or rain) as it's a fair commute at 32 mile round trip.
Saying that, this Year I'm determined to ride as much as I can and so will be looking to buy some decent clothing as well as a second bike with studded tyres.

Even then, gales would keep me off it, it's just too soul destroying riding into a strong headwind for mile after mile especially with the road spray and debris being driven into your face xx(

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It was gusty today, but manageable. A few road signs had blown over but nothing too bad.

Going over Blackheath Common the wind stole 5mph from me, hopefully I will steal it back on the way home tonight!

The main worry are the gusts, you can't predict them and they can cause serious deviations into passing traffic.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Very squally wind and rain on my commute.. made it hard going for the 18 miles, but hey ho.. it's all part and parcel of commuting by bike.

calibanzwei

If there were a Met Office weather warning I'd probably walk. Maybe
thumbsup.png

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Good question... I've got to the point where mentally I'm commuting Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday come rain or shine – even bought waterproof overshoes and jacket so I'm ready :thumbsup:

It was just starting to rain as I left this morning, but I ended up enduring an hour of 18-20mph winds (with 40+mph gusts apparently) and driving rain. I can believe those wind speed figures as crossing the Clackmannanshire Bridge was interesting to say the least, with a strong cross/head wind... but I still enjoyed my commute, up until the point I realised my so-called waterproof overshoes, er, weren't :angry:

The sun's got a cheek to have come out now – fairly certain it'll be raining come 4.30pm.... :wacko:

^Good tactics.

The wind however, it was nigh on knocking me off this morning, the bike litterally blowing away over the uneven road surface.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wind doesn't stop me. It's usually much quicker by bike with the traffic chaos. Done a few commutes in storm force winds. Bit hairy, but character building.

I call it breezy today.

What's all the fuss about - yes there's a bit of wind but nothing to make me even consider leaving the bike at home! Granted it will be hard going into the side wind up hill on the way home tonight but it's character building :tongue:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Usually on days like today I arrive thinking that I've inherited Lance Armstrong's legs, only to discover on the ride home that it was just wind assistance. This morning it was more like Casey Stoner's. Flew in, but didn't need to pedal.

Hope the wind drops before this evening.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Damn! I was going to do a 37 mile ride from one sister's house to the other's but there is a 20 mph wind gusting viciously to 40 mph. It would be a cross-headwind so it would be exhausting and potentially dangerous. I think today's weather is the point at which I leave the bike at home! :wacko:

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I rode in today - I didn't notice that it was that windy until I rode over the toucan crossing on Broad Street and nearly blew into a pedestrian! :ohmy:

What I do re the weather is get the bike out and attempt it no matter what but sometimes in bad wind, ice or snow I end up pushing the bike for some of the journey.

I personally find that even this way it is quicker than the bus... and still more enjoyable!!!! :biggrin:

pally83

Über Member
Forecast here for 50 mph gusts and heavy rain showers (and they mean heavy), brightening up later with the wind continuing all day.

Cycled in, just got a bit wet and blown about. By the time I got changed and to my desk I was the comfiest person here.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Very very windy today , xc weather says 30 + mph , also was chucking it down, never crossed my mind not to cycle tbh

The punct**e half way to work however made me question my sanity :smile:

Top Bottom