Wind....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I went to Martin Mere wildfowl reserve a couple of months ago, I was hunched over the handlebars, pedalling as hard as I could in my lowest gear on pancake-flat country lanes and the lock-free canal towpath - and going barely fast enough to stay upright. When I left Martin Mere to ride back to the railway station, I was pedalling only occasionally in the highest gear and was whizzing along with virtually no effort on my part, sitting up and looking at the scenery all around me.
Wind - I hate it and I love it ...
It was beautifully sunny here over the weekend, and on Monday, but the wind was like a demon catching me at every twist and turn when I tried to go out on Sunday and Monday. I went out yesterday and as long as I stuck to the canal, which is sheltered from the wind for the most part - and, of course, flat - it was OK. But I certainly look very carefully at wind directions when planning a ride anywhere interesting.

The older I get the worse wind gets :whistle:

postman

Legendary Member
May was windy in Leeds I commented saying I hope we don't get a summer with that stupid constant wind like a few years ago,and he here you all are commenting on the same problem.But right now it's warm and sunny with a slight gentle breeze.

Petrichorwheels

In the Holderness district of East Yorkshire, we have the 'PermaWind' (tm) which is like the Permafrost of the extreme North, we don't have hills, though in most directions it feels like you are riding up a hill on the flats...

looks like an interesting area on a map.would you recommend a visit?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
looks like an interesting area on a map.would you recommend a visit?

Yes I would, probably do in a day or two, depending on how slow / fast you want to go. Lots of quiet rural roads, a 'bracing coastal wid', nice villages and towns (some nicer that others) from the Southern most point at the Spurn Peninsula and wildlife / wetlands reserves, to the more mid northern part around Hornsea and everywhere in between (eg Stoney Creek)

hobo

O' wise one
Nice tailwind going down past the Roaches the other weekend.

Attachments

• 1654292050643.jpg
    1654292050643.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1

vickster

Legendary Member
Breezy today in SW London as well as being rather hot and sunny out.
Perfect to dry my washing :whistle:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's blowing quite strongly here today. Hopefully will blow away these horid high temperatures. :okay:

grldtnr

I never minded the wind, mind you I am a dirty gert big lump of maniless, in my club riding days, for some reason I was always on the front, always got my own back when it was very windy, I just dropped a cog & rode away from every one!
What I dont like much is the rain, rain& wind is even worserer !

Alex321

Veteran
It was pretty nasty here as well.

I went for a quite long (by my standards) ride, but was careful to head into it to start, so I'd have as much as possible with me later. Slow in the early part of the ride, several Pbs in the later part.

Top Bottom