Windermere cycle route to include Hardknott pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all
On hols in a couple of weeks and staying in Wnidemere , I have never riden in the Lakes and would love to have a go at Hardknott pass !
Please can any one suggest a round trip from Windemere to include Hardknott pass .
Appreciate any help.
regards
Mark

puffinbilly

Veteran
Think the best way - is probably to use the ferry to get to the other side of the lake - the road from Windermere to Ambleside is very busy at the best of times and especially now with school holidays. Use the B5285 and B5286 to reach the A593 and take the signs to Coniston and turn off at Skelwith Bridge for Hardknott.
Depending if you want to avoid the hills before you hit Hardknott - I would take the above route, however if you don't mind a little climbing before getting there use the above route and take the Skelwith Fold road to Skelwith Bridge.

robing

Über Member
I went the other way when I did coast to coast. I did both Hardknott and Wrynose. Very tough gradients - I had a loaded touring bike so was walking at some points. And such steep descents you can't really enjoy it.

OP
OP
M

Mark Walker

Veteran
Thanks for the reply s chaps, I have heard about the descents and to be honest I am no great descender .
I would like to climb Hardnott to add to my list , however if the descents are that bad is it worth it?
If not , can can you suggest any challenging rides without the scary descents for rides of about 2 - 3 hours from Wimdemere ?
regards
Mark

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply s chaps, I have heard about the descents and to be honest I am no great descender .
I would like to climb Hardnott to add to my list , however if the descents are that bad is it worth it?
If not , can can you suggest any challenging rides without the scary descents for rides of about 2 - 3 hours from Wimdemere ?
regards
Mark

Hardknott does go up and down, but the longer climb is from the western end.

If you enter from the east - Skelwith - you will be climbing Wrynose but, by most peoples' definition, descending Hardknott.

Whichever way you go, there are a couple of very nasty descents, not helped by a poor road surface.

I am a very cautious descender, so wouldn't try it.

But, of course, plenty do.

As regards challenging rides from Windermere, my opinion is that any ride in that area is challenging.

You could do worse than pop over the Hawkshead ferry from Bowness, turn left soon after, track south through the lanes to Spark Bridge, then pick up the marked cycle route - minor road - which takes you north along the eastern edge of Coniston.

It's then the B road through Hawkshead back to the ferry.

About 25 miles, plenty of climbing, but nothing ridiculous.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The advice for descending Hardknott in particular is: DO NOT let speed build up, or you are doomed. It wouldn't be fun in the dry and in the wet it would be very sketchy indeed. Be careful.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What the initial replies above do not seem to suggest is a return route - so either back on yourself or a very long and hilly route back via other passes!
There are other passes not so scary as Hardknott (to be honest, doing Hardknott from the west I find pretty scary in a car! Was on my own in my car with luggage in the boot and a bike on the back, and it only just made it up one of the steep hairpins...the wheels were spinning, and this was on a completely dry day!).
Try Kirkstone Pass, or take the bike on the car up to Keswick and cycle down one side of Derwentwater, over Honister Pass to Buttermere, and then back to Keswick via Newlands Pass. Or from Keswick you can do a much quieter and less hilly circuit around Skiddaw.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Lot's of great advice above.
The problem with Hardknott is it's pretty much a road to nowhere (no offence west Cumbrians!) and It's difficult to just do a lap without it becoming a big day out. I doub't a three hour ride would give you enough time to be honest.
The ascent that most people recognise is from the west (as said above) and its a big old ride to get to the Eskdale Valley.
But there are plenty of other good, dare I say better rides in the lakes. You could go up Wrynose from the East (ie Ambleside/Langdale) which is probably as tough as Hardknott anyway as there's no flat(ish) bits, then turn left before the rise up Hardnott along Cockly beck. The Struggle (Ambleside) is good as is Kirkstone and a good bit easier. I used to be a pretty brave descender but these days the descents of these passes really give me the willies. As soon as you let off your brakes you are up to 20mph on bumpy pot holed roads - remember when they tarmacked these roads they couldn't get a road roller up there, they just poured the tarmac down!!
Every year that I can remember someone has come unstuck on a descent in the Fred Whitton Challenge and needed to be helicoptered away.
Kirkstones better but can be busy, and watch for sheep!
Maybe a ferry trip across the lake, up to Ambleside via Hawkshead hill up the struggle back into Windermere.
Let me know when you are doing it and if you want some company and I'm free I'll tag along.

OP
OP
M

Mark Walker

Veteran
Great to hear from you all , many thanks indeed.
I have just returned from the Whitby Regatta Sportive 80 miles of up hill and down dale so good prep for the Lakes.
Jazcatt , we are in the Lakes from from the 24th Aug, for a week .
many thanks again
Mark

Top Bottom