England : Cumbria Windermere ride - Friday 7th Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If only I wasn't working :cry:.
Looks like a great ride Mike, especially the climb around the 28 mile mark :ohmy:.
Will be bookmarking the route page for future reference!

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
That's a nice route (although I don't like the bit on the A591 past the lake - it's busy and narrow, difficult for cars to pass safely). The climb up past Gummers How and over Cartmel fell will warm you up:tongue:
Sadly I'm working or I'd join you.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
It is the only "dodgy" bit and sadly there is no way to avoid it. If there is a useable cyclepath there, I could be on it :smile: Not quite sure what I've let myself in for with the Cartmel Fell climb :heat:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
It is the only "dodgy" bit and sadly there is no way to avoid it. If there is a useable cyclepath there, I could be on it :smile: Not quite sure what I've let myself in for with the Cartmel Fell climb :heat:
Well, you could go up Kirkstone and back down the struggle:biggrin:
The A591 gets plenty of cyclists on it and most of the drivers are patient (well, apart from the odd Chelsea tractor and German saloon!). There is a cycle path for some of it, strangely it's the really wide bit of road where one isn't needed. Where it's bad is the bit from the Lowwood hotel to Waterside (Ambleside) it's just narrow.
It's a tough climb over the fell, for sure.
Have fun:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Well, you could go up Kirkstone and back down the struggle:biggrin:
:crazy:

Errr... no :smile:

I stayed at Wray Castle back when I was 16 studying electronics. Had a green road bike I took over from my Dad. I would ride that up to Hawkshead, down to the ferry and over to Windermere, then come back around the road through Ambleside. There was a lot less traffic back then though! This will be the first time I've cycled there since. Bit of a trip down memory lane, except with a better bike :biggrin:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Have fun, sadly I'll be stuck in the office all day :sad:. Was in Windermere for work 1 day last week, day return on the train, so didn't have much of a chance to amble - but the lunch at Brambles tearoom was very nice! Can recommend the soup & toastie menu with huge pot of tea, and the home made cake slices were enormous:eek::mrpig:.

T

Col5632

Guru
Enjoy Mike, I'll also be working :cry:

Fubar

Guru
OMFG. It was ok until Cartmel Fell. No way can I climb that yet, walked half of it.

:eek:

I was going to suggest this as a possible CC Ecosse - Border Raid type ride for later on in the year until I saw your comment above! @Telemark possibilities for an Islay rehearsal? (with a revised route...)

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
What you could do is ride back around the lake to Bowness and then turn back to the start which cuts out the massive climb. Cartmel is only 1 mile, but with multiple ramps of about 15-18%

Descent was fun though!

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
OMFG. It was ok until Cartmel Fell. No way can I climb that yet, walked half of it.
:biggrin:
I knew you'd enjoy it!:laugh:
What you could do is ride back around the lake to Bowness and then turn back to the start which cuts out the massive climb.
You could also continue south at Newby Bridge down to Grange Via Haverthwaite and Flookburgh then back along the Lythe valley.
Much flatter!

Top Bottom