Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Got a notification from everyone's favourite OS supplier this morning. I'm permitted to download for zero cost Windows 10 - a time limited offer. So what does the collective in the cafe think? Should I upgrade from Windows 7 for free or will I be giving away a perfectly acceptable OS for a possibly unknown bag of rhubarb goodies?

Can't comment on windows 7 as I went from vista to 8.1 and ..... can't wait for the update 10 can't possibly be any worse than 8.1.... my main problem is when you save something it never saves anything to the same place twice..... i have to search the hard drive to find owt!

Keith Oates

Janner
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Go for it, I've just been reading an article on line about it and the feeling was that it should be very good.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wafer

Veteran
From what I've heard Win10 is ok. I had the notification a while ago and having done a smallish amount of research decided to accept the offer. I've not done too badly over the years skipping alternate versions. Win 7 has on the whole been good, 8 a pile a crap so 10 should be the all right version :smile:

I did have to laugh though that the first feature mentioned when trying to sell me the free upgrade was stating that the start menu was back....

Someone on a podcast I listen to has been using the preview version if Win10 for some time and says generally it's been fine, there have been certain updates which have borked it, but then that's kind of the point of the preview. Sounds like people on 8 will probably want to upgrade, people on 7 will notice less difference, which can be a good thing...

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
I'm quite happy to stay with win 7 on the laptop for now, but can't wait to upgrade from 8.1 on the notebook, hate it, hate it!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I think there was a thread on here a while back about Windows 10. I've signed up for the upgrade from 7 though have yet to check the compatibility with my software. Everything I've read thus far about 10 has been positive but I do wonder if this will be my punishment for working for a company that sold computers when Vista came out and folding under the pressure from my manager, the area manager, the head of sales etc etc etc to SELL! SELL! SELL! I held the record sales figures for the first week and still feel guilty about it.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I'm more than happy with 7 but am willing to try 10 for free..
It's been extensively beta tested to make sure its almost the finished article..
or so they say..
It'll depend on how many updates you have to endure..
Its just gone out to the PC manufacturers so that is not a bad sign..
Its probably just Windows 8 fixed...

Shaun

Founder
You'll have a bit of a learning curve moving from 7 to 10, but I'd go for it. :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Windows 7 machine can stay 7. The 8.1s are new and can go 10. We've got them all on classic desktop but I want the standard menu back.

The tiles mike look pretty but are a faff really.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
One thing to remember is that Windows 10 is a free upgrade for a limited time. I will upgrade one of my PCs straight away, but will hold off on the rest until I am happy. I ran an early test version for a while it it seemed very good, so I think this is one that Microsoft got right.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I upgraded the old XP machine to Win 7. Took off all the crap and fresh install. It's just for emails letters etc. Dropped in a slightly faster AMD 64 3400 and one of the last AGP Radeon HD cards, both cheap on ebay, and it runs quick. I'll leave it be

The laptops and my son's gaming rig aren't for anything important so ill upgrade. I suspect my son will do the gaming rig ASAP.

Top Bottom