Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It'll be easier for MS if most computers are using the same OS and given the recent disasters known as Vista and 8, there's a good chance that many people will be wary of paying for an upgrade when they don't necessarily trust it will work. The limited free thing gets the attention of people like me who like a bargain.

On the one hand, never look a gift horse in the mouth. On the other, you get what you pay for. :wacko:

Ive been used all the varieties of Windows ever since DOS was superseded as a front end - I cant say that apart from looking different and the OS becoming bigger and bigger that I've noticed much difference except with the passage of time setting up my peripherals has become easier - The OS is just something that is there to run the programmes I use and service the all the bits and bobs that I plug into the computer - Ive got both 7 and 8.1 - im not anticipating really much change except maybe it might give me more control over how I use my screens - maybe I'm not a power user - to me the computer is just a tool not an end in itself - anyway a long winded way of saying that i'm going over to 10 shortly after it is available :smile:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
[QUOTE 3802496, member: 9609"]i still have a copy of that on floppies ^_^[/QUOTE]

I have that somewhere with all the manuals and I did have a copy of windows 3.0 somewhere lurking in the loft must be worth .............. at least .................... a few ........... pence :giggle:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
In my experience new versions of operating systems require more powerful machines & more memory. I'm not going to upgrade either of mine.
Not for the last couple of generations. If it'll run 7 well (and that was released in 2009), it'll run 8, 8.1 and 10 well. The one thing that really makes a difference these days (as long as you're not a hardcore gamer) is having a Solid State Drive as the OS's drive.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Wonder what's in it for MS? Are they trying to get rid of support for all previous versions maybe?
As I understand it, they're trying to get a level playing field so they can get a faster update tempo going. Things are becoming less about the OS, and more about apps and services. The software development kits are geared up so you can run the same code on a 4" phone as you can on a 84" Surface Hub. Obviously there'll be user interface tweaking needed, but the core engine will be the same.

I've started porting the cycling app I've about 85% finished to the UWP. Only for phones, though. Can't seem to find a handlebar mount for the Surface Hub...

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Not for the last couple of generations. If it'll run 7 well (and that was released in 2009), it'll run 8, 8.1 and 10 well. The one thing that really makes a difference these days (as long as you're not a hardcore gamer) is having a Solid State Drive as the OS's drive.
Thanks for that. I don't think the occasional game of solitaire makes me a hardcode gamer :smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
You really need to keep you computer up to date.

sent from my Sinclair Spectrum ZX+2

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3802508, member: 9609"]
I often wonder if older systems are more secure as the hackers attention will be on the new stuff.[/QUOTE]
I'd be surprised.
99.998% of compromised machines are broken into by bots (running on other peoples hacked machines) not people, so it doesn't really matter whether the humans prefer newer shinier toys or not

Isn't the 'time limited' thing a year? I'll happy to leave it for a few months and let the rest of the world try it first.

Besides, I must be one of the rare people who find 8.1 ok. Works fine on this laptop (a touchscreen), had less problems with it than any previous version, well, apart from Vista.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3803265, member: 9609"]I think you missed my point, any new virus / malware development is unlikely to be aimed at the older systems, the hackers will be concentrating on the latest OS as this is where the insecurities are likely to be, windows 10 will be full of opportunities for the clever hacker. If you have kept your win 98 / vista / win 7 up to date with patches and your virus definitions up to date then you are far less likely to be infected as those systems have already had every door and window double checked. When win 10 has been out for a year or two 99.998 of the glitches and insecurities will have been ironed out.[/QUOTE]
Oh, yes I see what you mean. Yes, if you keep your win 7/8 up to date it'll probably have fewer vulns than the new shiny, at least until it gets end-of-lifed and they stop making patches. As soon as there are holes that you haven't patched then running an old version probably won't save you, I would not be surprised if there were automated attackers out there testing for holes last seen in windows 95

I run hipster Linux anyway

Top Bottom