Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I'm reconsidering if I want to go back to windows. I don't want a headache, updating anti virus software and whatever, finding drivers here and there.

I'm thinking of running another OS and just using windows in a VM for the stuff I need. That way whenever there's a cockup, I can just renew the VM.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
if it can't tell the difference between 9 and 95 or 98... then there's something seriously wrong.

The actual code was told to look for 9* the * is a wild card so 9anything will trigger it also rumour has it some code was told to look for containing the number 9.

Wildcards are common in computer programming it saves having to type out a whole list of if this happens do this and if that happens do that statements, so the "mistake" is a programming "mistake" made by a human nothing to do with a computer it is just doing as it is told.

Another example I can think of is that in 1988 I bought a Psion Organiser the popup computer the only problem was the date only went up to 1999 then it would reset to 1900 and again it was a human error and this sort of thing lead to the whole y2k bug fiasco.

jamin100

Guru
Windows 7 is the new XP
It's the OS that in years to come Microsoft will struggle to kill off..

Many business are still on XP and those that have moved away are likely to stay on w7 for a long time..

Hence why M$ are offering consumers a 'free' upgrade to 10 in order for people to get used to it, businesses will then find it 'slightly' easier to upgrade

phil_hg_uk

Windows 7 is the new XP
It's the OS that in years to come Microsoft will struggle to kill off..

Many business are still on XP and those that have moved away are likely to stay on w7 for a long time..

Hence why M$ are offering consumers a 'free' upgrade to 10 in order for people to get used to it, businesses will then find it 'slightly' easier to upgrade

I cant see any compelling reason to change from windows 7 as far as I am concerned it is the best OS they have ever made.

One thing I can see happening is that MS has already said that this will be the last version of windows to be released and that in future it will just release incremental upgrades instead, so how long will it be before they announce that you will need to sign up to a subscription model, similar to what Adobe now do, in order to keep up to date. As far as I can see the subscription model is the way forward for most of the major software companies.

Ive signed up for it. Im going from XP home premium to windows 10. Hope its ok.

It wont be free. Only 7 and 8 get it free.

I'm still waiting for the icon to appear on my W7 laptop, but no sign of it. I'd rather trial it on the lappy before taking the plunge on my desktop as knowing Microsoft, there won't be an option to go back to W7 if I'm not happy with 10.

You probably dont have all the required updates installed. SWMBO's laptop wasnt showing icon until updated were installed.

is it free to upgrade for a limited time, or free to use once you've got it but only for a limited time?

Its free upgrade for life on that device. Not sure if you can move it to another computer though.

I am going to install and activate them on all my computers just so i have got a permanent licence for them all.
I may well go back to the original version if i dont like it, apart ffrom the 8.1 which i cant bloody stand. Mind you, it only cost me £20 IIRC when it was first relelased to had to have it.

I cant see any compelling reason to change from windows 7 as far as I am concerned it is the best OS they have ever made.

One thing I can see happening is that MS has already said that this will be the last version of windows to be released and that in future it will just release incremental upgrades instead, so how long will it be before they announce that you will need to sign up to a subscription model, similar to what Adobe now do, in order to keep up to date. As far as I can see the subscription model is the way forward for most of the major software companies.

I would agree, but i would say the os will be free, but will use a store system similar to google and apple

phil_hg_uk

I would agree, but i would say the os will be free, but will use a store system similar to google and apple

I doubt the OS will be free with MS as they have no other income stream to talk of. Apple can do a free OS as they overcharge for their goods effectively charging 2+ times over the odds for what is just an Intel PC in a fancy box with a version of Linux on it and Google have the search and advertising revenues which prop up anything else they want to do i.e. giving android away. Everytime MS try to move into another market they cock it up think of Windows Phones, The Zune, Bing etc etc the exception is the Xbox which sustains itself.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Should you upgrade?
To minimize the risk to your business, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 users who upgrade in the first year.2 Microsoft will continue to update the OS for the lifetime of Win 10 devices, so you’ll have the most up-to-date security and new features and functionality for no additional charge.
As the adoption of BYOD has become commonplace in the office, it’s more important than ever to have a unified user-experience across devices of all shapes and sizes. Windows 10 will morph to fit the smartphone, tablet, or PC it’s running on and has the ability to run reworked Android and iOS apps, making it easier for BYOD-enabled businesses.
Unsure if your business can support Windows 10? PCs that run Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, should have no problem keeping up with the system requirements of Windows 10.

http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-wi...heck-if-your-pc-or-tablet-can-upgrade-1951572
Windows 10 is free for users who already own Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1, but you’ll have to make sure you upgrade before July 29, 2016 if you don’t want to pay for the new OS.
If you upgrade Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium or Windows 8.1, you will get Windows 10 Home. If you upgrade Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro or 8.1 Pro for Students, you'll get Windows 10 Pro.
And if you’re building your own computer or need to buy a copy of the new operating system for whatever reason, you’ll have to pay $119 for Windows 10 Home or $199 for Windows 10 Pro.

But just because your computer can upgrade to Windows 10 does not mean it will be able to use all of Windows 10’s features. Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition to unlock your device, for example, requires illuminated infrared, depth-sensing cameras such as the one on the Microsoft Kinect to work, meaning your Webcam won't cut it.

phil_hg_uk

But just because your computer can upgrade to Windows 10 does not mean it will be able to use all of Windows 10’s features. Windows Hello, which uses facial recognition to unlock your device, for example, requires illuminated infrared, depth-sensing cameras such as the one on the Microsoft Kinect to work, meaning your Webcam won't cut it.

My rule of thumb is that I would never upgrade to any MS OS until it had been out a minimum of 6 months, that way it should actually work reasonably well.

Top Bottom