Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I doubt the OS will be free with MS as they have no other income stream to talk of
Office.
Think they make a few quid from that.
I'd sort of disagree with the Windows phone too - not much in the way of market share but I've played with the one my son has and quite like it. If it had the apps I use Android has I'd probably switch.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Office.
Think they make a few quid from that.

Not for much longer they took too long to release office mobile version and now most people are using Quick Office other such clones and very happy with them. Open Office now works just fine as a desktop replacement for home and light users and now supports extended formats such as .DOCX and .XLSX . So that means the main market is corporate and that wont provide as much of an income as they are used to and I have seen quite a lot of my corporate customers also moving over to free versions.

Unless they decide to introduce another format like they did with .DOCX to "stimulate" the market of course ;)

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'd sort of disagree with the Windows phone too - not much in the way of market share but I've played with the one my son has and quite like it. If it had the apps I use Android has I'd probably switch.
Likewise. It runs very well on pretty modest hardware too. Until the advent of the Moto G, it was probably the best option in the low/mid range. Both Mrs M and number one son had Lumia 620s, a super little phone. Mrs M upgraded to a Lumia 830 which is excellent too. If I wasn't so tied in to Google services, I'd have one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not for the last couple of generations. If it'll run 7 well (and that was released in 2009), it'll run 8, 8.1 and 10 well. The one thing that really makes a difference these days (as long as you're not a hardcore gamer) is having a Solid State Drive as the OS's drive.

I got a 10 year old PC to run Win 7 better than a clogged up XP machine. It was long ovedue a clean out having been a family PC, now it's just the email/web machine that the kids arent allowed to break. Boots up much faster.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like there have been a few last minute issues. Problem with Windows update and Nvidia's GE Force Experience drivers - conflicting updates and driver bugs.

Hopefully it will be sorted ASAP as the main laptop has a GE Force GT 740M and my lads gaming rig a GTX 970

[QUOTE 3824510, member: 259"]They make money from office and drawing people into the SharePoint family. Once they are committed they are stuffed, big time.[/QUOTE]
Can't be many big software companies that don't use some form of that business model, have users commit to their ecosystem and keep them there - Apple, Google, etc....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today is, apparently, the day..... Good luck out there!! It;s been nice knowing you :hello:

BTW, on my old Dell Inspiron Desktop PC, as I'd upgraded from Vista to 7, I couldn't use the recovery sector to sort it out when the pixies killed it so I ended dumping the PC. Jus' saying :whistle:

Top Bottom