Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Linux Mint started playing up on my 5 year old laptop (no mouse cursor on log in sometimes, Dropbox icon didn't always appear even though it was running) so I decided to put Windows 7 back on the machine so I could play some games (I'd been playing the Linux versions but they suddenly stopped loading).

Windows 7 SP1 went on ok but the WiFi was flaky and it would get updates from Windows Update even with a wired connection. I thought I'd try Windows 10 seeing as it was free. It's fine. It's stable and certainly no slower than Mint or Windows 7. It can stay for a while.

D

Deleted member 23692

Updated my Win 7 hifi yesterday and my laptop this morning. Both went perfectly OK and now I'm tweaking the settings and removing all the inbuilt Win10 components I don't want/need.

Liking it so far

I finally updated after allowing glitch solve time: So far pretty good. No real changes as I used a local account and switched off all the Cortana, can I help you stuff. It's a bit slower on startup but is running smoother than before, so, so far, so good. Needed to re-enter a few licence keys, start menu didn't work until a later update, some video drivers to sort out but nothing I wasn't really expecting.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Apparently, if you want to avoid having to create an internet account the best way to do it is to install Win 10 with no network connection.

gavgav

Guru
I've installed it and seems ok so far. Only issue I found was that it had reverted to automatically shutting down after installing windows updates, and wasn't even telling me it was going to do so! Not great when you are in the middle of something and then a black screen appears!

I've tweeked that setting and now seems ok.

The start button being back is my favourite part so far

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I found my Windows 7 PC had (a) reverted back to automatically downloading and installing updates, even though I had set it to manual for both; and (b) downloaded the 5GB of Windows 10 install files (for the 2nd time). Linux is sounding more attractive all the time.

Got a notification from everyone's favourite OS supplier this morning. I'm permitted to download for zero cost Windows 10 - a time limited offer. So what does the collective in the cafe think? Should I upgrade from Windows 7 for free or will I be giving away a perfectly acceptable OS for a possibly unknown bag of rhubarb goodies?
I upgraded from 7 Professional and found some of my (admittedly) older applications were incompatible so I restored. I did not like the new user interface either.

Top Bottom