Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Tried that. Plus Kubuntu but always seem to end up back with Mint. Keep meaning to try Ubuntu itself again
Ubuntu has too many bells and whistles for my laptop - it ran like a pig last time I tied it (but then I did have it on a ext4 partition but with all my actual data in a separate NTFS partition so Windows could read it too - don't think that helped - I've removed Windows entirely now)

I have used Kubuntu (ages ago - laptop wouldn't suspend), Ubuntu (was great until it got bloated and slow), Lubuntu (lightweight, fast but at cost of slick interface) Mint (quite liked it) and Xubuntu (like Ubuntu used to be)

D

Deleted member 1258

Ubuntu has too many bells and whistles for my laptop - it ran like a pig last time I tied it (but then I did have it on a ext4 partition but with all my actual data in a separate NTFS partition so Windows could read it too - don't think that helped - I've removed Windows entirely now)

I have used Kubuntu (ages ago - laptop wouldn't suspend), Ubuntu (was great until it got bloated and slow), Lubuntu (lightweight, fast but at cost of slick interface) Mint (quite liked it) and Xubuntu (like Ubuntu used to be)

I'm on Fedora, when I got my new computer earlier this year I started with Mint but had some stability problems so swapped to Fedora, in the past I've used both Ubuntu and Lubuntu.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Mint so far, and agree about Ubuntu being a bit bloated. Xubuntu sounds nice; I'll try that next, I think. I'm still checking my options for running various applications, but my plan is still to remove Windows entirely.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm on Fedora, when I got my new computer earlier this year I started with Mint but had some stability problems so swapped to Fedora, in the past I've used both Ubuntu and Lubuntu.
Red Hat and Mandrake were the first distros I used extensively so Fedora is a natural fit for me. I have it on one machine but for non-free stuff like some codecs you need RPM Fusion and I had a couple of problems with that in the past. It seems better now. I really like Mint for being so well put together and slick. I might switch my laptop from Mint to Fedora + RPM Fusion though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Red Hat and Mandrake were the first distros I used extensively so Fedora is a natural fit for me. I have it on one machine but for non-free stuff like some codecs you need RPM Fusion and I had a couple of problems with that in the past. It seems better now. I really like Mint for being so well put together and slick. I might switch my laptop from Mint to Fedora + RPM Fusion though.

Once I had Fedora on the computer and set up it just worked and continues to just work.

Davidc

Guru
I think I'll clone my disc with my OS (win 7) before I download/install win 10 - then I can go back under my own control.
Very wise. That's how I got my laptop back. I use Acronis True Image, have done for years, and it hasn't let me down yet.
Once I had Fedora on the computer and set up it just worked and continues to just work.
I have Ubuntu on my other laptop and it works well. Dual boot with Windows 7. Ubuntu is as noted a bit bloated but works faultlessly, and Libre Office runs fast with it. With my present computer use there're only two programs I use which have to have windows, so unless MS sort out Win 10 in a satisfactory way I could be only using Microsoft for those.

Sad, because I've always liked the decent versions of Windows, but the way MS seem to be heading with their new business model may be the end of the road. On the other hand I ditched MS Office, IE and Outlook a few years back, and have never once regretted doing so.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well I do like Windows 10 but issues with installing Fedora as a dual boot (that I'm sure I'll get past once I have time) mean that I need W7 to be able to print. Very disappointed in the throwaway attitude of Canon (my printer is only a couple of years old) but hey ho

classic33

Leg End Member
Well I do like Windows 10 but issues with installing Fedora as a dual boot (that I'm sure I'll get past once I have time) mean that I need W7 to be able to print. Very disappointed in the throwaway attitude of Canon (my printer is only a couple of years old) but hey ho
Doesn't the printing just default to high or Standard quality?

Having had Windows 10 for 2 weeks and been happy with it - ive gone off it :sad:- over the weekend - start menu stopped working - "critical error start menu not working, please sign out "so I was unable to directly access programmes which didnt live on the task bar ie the browsers (except for edge which disappeared altogether - which I was not fussed about) - it seems that the problem has been present almost from the beginning of W10, is something to do with Cortana and there is no easy cure or windows patch :sad: - an operating system that doesnt allow access to programmes is not much good - so roll back - rolling back was beginning to look tricky as I couldn't access the settings menu until realised that i could go there indirectly from the personalisation sub menu for the screen - rolling back was easy and seamless - tho now I realise how much I liked W8.1 :smile:- subtle differences - like different coloured tiles on the start menu makes it more intuitive and on screen notifications for emails

I will probably roll back both my good laptop to W8.1 and my spare to W7 "just in case"

RitchieJoe

do you have a smart phone, my canon printer will let me print directly from my android device

Top Bottom