Windows 10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have it ready to go, but I'm too scared to do it!!!
most seem happy with it... there's just a handful of us Luddites who don't like upgrading. If it worked (for me) straight out of the box i might have stuck with it longer than a couple of hours... but it didn't and instead of spending my days finding W10 fixes for this that and the other, it just seemed easier to go back to 7.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Having had Windows 10 for 48hours now on my number 2 laptop and painlessly – and very quickly - updated my main computer to it this morning I can see no real advantage or disadvantage to it over W7 or W8.1 – the virtual desktop feature looks like it may be an interesting feature but im not sure yet how it will fit in with how I use my computers – otherwise the king is dead long live the king – It may be that I am not very demanding or a “power user” but having peeked at the W10 feedback page it just seemed to contain a load of whining about trivia – for 99% of the time I don’t see the operating system when I using a computer – it is just there to run and present programs (I hate that app wordthing), help me organise my files and assist me gaining access to the internet – as long as it works I don’t care what colour it is as I don’t see it – anyway upgrade my number 1 laptop in the morning

That's exactly how we use our computers - we simply run our business/leisure orientated programs, file our doc's/pic's, access the www. and use email on them.

I guess we are just 'simple' users.

Interesting that the thread raises the privacy issue - I'd wager that MS are very envious of FB's cynical exploitation of data harvesting.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I have dual boot with Mint and thinking about adding Ubuntu. Unfortunately I use both Itunes and Basecamp which don't have Linux equivalents and I've not found suitable ways to use them using WINE etc.

I use a virtual machine for both, and an XP virtual machine for games.

Last edited:

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
A guide to fixing Windows 10 privacy issues. bit.ly/1P4m2t2

numbnuts

Legendary Member
After having 10 for a few days and finding out my scanner would not work as it is 5 years old I went back to 7, after all the updates I find that dam windows icon is back in the task bar I need to get shot of it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After having 10 for a few days and finding out my scanner would not work as it is 5 years old I went back to 7, after all the updates I find that dam windows icon is back in the task bar I need to get shot of it.
just google 'remove windows 10 from task bar' and you'll find a solution. I did. I think it involved a search through the recent Windows updates and removing the one that puts it there, then hiding that update so it doesn't auto-install again.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
My wife has been wondering whether to, I've persuaded her to wait. I think there may be a storm brewing.

The only reason I updated my laptop from Windows 7 to 10 is because I fix and install them for a living and I need to know the ins and outs of 10. To be honest I am thinking of rolling it back there is absolutely no reason I can see to upgrade & with all the controversy over the programs & apps they have left out and are now charging for I cant say I will ever upgrade my main desktop PC. My advise to your wife would be don't bother.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No issues so far. A very old Epson is supported better than in 8.1 (bodged 7 drivers in 8.1), and our old HP Photosmart is still supported fine. Going to leave the main 'old' desktop on 7 and the same for an old laptop, as we use that just for my lads diabetes software for his insulin pump, as the software won't work well on anything with lots of software on !! - The software is well buggy for such an essential medical item !!

Top Bottom