Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SydZ

Über Member
I can see two undesirable conse on the horizon.

1. An stepped increase in older computers going to landfill as folk upgrade to one fully supporting Window 11. Something that is not good for the environment.
2. A greater number of people holding onto Windows 10 beyond its end of support than we saw with Windows 7. Ultimatel leading to more insecure PCs connected to the internet.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I always dismantle any being disposed of pc/laptop/tablet with HDDs/SDDs retained. They can be a useful source of small bolts etc and then it goes to into the relevant recycling sections at the recycling site.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you have an XP machine handy it's quite simple to grab those distinctive screen savers and copy them over, or so I'm told. We had a contractor working on a Win 10 migration project who had a very snazzy "XP" laptop.

keithmac

Guru
I won't run out to buy a new computer just to run W11, more than likely my kit will survive another 5 years on W10.

As for Linux, most of my PC use is vehicle diagnostic related so no chance of running Linux for anything productive at my end anyway.

Even if you could run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux I wouldn't trust it to reflash ££££ worth of control modules.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you have an XP machine handy it's quite simple to grab those distinctive screen savers and copy them over, or so I'm told. We had a contractor working on a Win 10 migration project who had a very snazzy "XP" laptop.

Just search for XP screensaver and there you go...

yello

I always dismantle any being disposed of pc/laptop/tablet with HDDs/SDDs retained. They can be a useful source of small bolts etc and then it goes to into the relevant recycling sections at the recycling site.

Ditto. I've a spider-web connection of old hard disks for file/media server & backup purposes of which Heath Robinson would be proud. Silly really, as I could buy single a humongous gb drive for sod all big enough to house it all. Still, it's what I do - I've pledged my troth troth to reuse as much as poss.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What the hell was that?

I've used Compaq 'luggables'. One had only two floppy drives. The other had a tiny RLL hard drive. Tiny capacity that is. It was the size of a 5.25 inch floppy drive but the storage was only 10 megabytes. Just large enough to hold MS DOS and WordPerfect, with space for a few documents.

Pretty sure they were mono (green) screens. Definitely not VGA; maybe only "Hercules".
1635864708010.png

Top Bottom