Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We have a computer running Win95 at work :whistle: . Some others that run Win98 and XP. This is all under the hood. These are all more or less sand boxed . The newest OS we have on a machine is Ubuntu. Again sandboxed never allowed onto the WWW.

All work laptops are Windows 10 .

tyred

Legendary Member
We have a computer running Win95 at work :whistle: . Some others that run Win98 and XP. This is all under the hood. These are all more or less sand boxed . The newest OS we have on a machine is Ubuntu. Again sandboxed never allowed onto the WWW.

All work laptops are Windows 10 .
In my previous job up until 2016 I had two computers on my desk, one running Win95 which was used to talk via a 16k modem with some early '90s telephone systems we stilled maintained as the software required would never work properly on newer Windows.

Then I had my modern computer for everything else which ran Win2000...

I still have and use an old Compq Armada laptop with Win Me which I have all my MP3s stored on and connected to my amplifier as a sort of Jukebox. I haven't connected it to the Internet in a very long time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got the problem that the Snipping Tool isn't working. Shift+Windows key+S doesn't do anything.

Seems to be a known issue. Can be worked around by just doing a PrtScn screen dump but a bit annoying.

Edit: I just tried the suggested fix of switching off auto date time and manually setting the date to oct 30. Although it sounds totally bonkers it actually worked. Set date to oct 30, took a snip, set date back to auto. All works fine.

Weird

Last edited:
I've got the problem that the Snipping Tool isn't working. Shift+Windows key+S doesn't do anything.

Seems to be a known issue. Can be worked around by just doing a PrtScn screen dump but a bit annoying.

Edit: I just tried the suggested fix of switching off auto date time and manually setting the date to oct 30. Although it sounds totally bonkers it actually worked. Set date to oct 30, took a snip, set date back to auto.

Weird
Is this any use?
https://www.pcguide.com/windows-11/how-to/snipping-tool-broken-error/

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Edit: I just tried the suggested fix of switching off auto date time and manually setting the date to oct 30. Although it sounds totally bonkers it actually worked. Set date to oct 30, took a snip, set date back to auto.

Weird

On Windows 10 it’s been saying for ages snip is being replaced by snip and sketch. Maybe in 11 they finally made the change.

you can get snip and sketch for the store though on my Windows 10 it turned up with one of the feature releases.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/snip-sketch/9mz95kl8mr0l?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This has prompted me to change the boot to UEFI, turn on the TPM, enable secure boot, and core memory isolation. I’ve also created my first windows defender application control policies. So that I can lock down what’s allowed to run on my Windows 10 box before support ends. Keeping it secure.

I've also generated some personal code signing certificates where the private key is created in and remains inside the TPM. Cool stuff.

Not being eligible for W11 has at least prompted me to beef up the security on the W10 setup I do have.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was running into some weird user interface problems this morning - things that should be clickable not being so. I immediately blamed it on W11 teething problems, and started cursing W11

Then I realised. I was using a W10 machine.

Rezillo

TwoSheds

Edit: I just tried the suggested fix of switching off auto date time and manually setting the date to oct 30. Although it sounds totally bonkers it actually worked. Set date to oct 30, took a snip, set date back to auto. All works fine.

Weird

https://www.theregister.com/2021/11/04/expired_certificate_windows11/

has the cause.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I threw caution to the wind last night & upgraded to W11 on a 1 year old laptop with AMD Ryzen 5.
W10 backup & recovery disc was an hour, the W11 upgrade download & install was also about an hour.
Positives so far :-
  1. Quicker boot
  2. Office applications (word, excel etc) appear to open much quicker.
  3. Better open windows snapping
  4. I like the layout of the start menu & new icons
Not sure I'll use the widget sidebar.
Working from home today & all ran smoothly & intuitively, no searching for buttons, icons etc
You'd get a quicker boot and faster load times just by reinstalling your current OS

newts

Veteran
1636718619311.png
+ shift + s
Snip tool is now working after the last update:wahhey:
That was the only thing i'd missed from W10.

Top Bottom