Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Would say no idea as I have not installed it, presumably you are not having the much reported wifi issues. Is the pc running okay, poor performance seems to be another issue. The general advice seems to be not to install it for a few months until the faults have been patched and software providers have updates for any non compliant programs. Anyway in terms of the question its one of those things Google is good for and says

Right-click on the Start menu and select Settings.
Select the Personalization category.
Click on the Themes tab.
Go to the right and click on the Sounds option.
On the Sound tab, uncheck the box next to the Play Windows Startup sound option.

Also, on my Windows 11 installation:

Settings/System/Sound

Go to the bottom of the screen and click More Sound Settings. The slick Windows 11 menu is then replaced by a familiar much older dialog. Click the Sounds tab - the Sound Scheme should be set to No Sounds but near the foot of the menus is a check box, that is not in the list of scheme sounds, for "Play Windows Start-up sound".

I rather like Windows 11 - the interface is quite nice and all my software and devices are working fine. My only niggle is that there is no way of shrinking the task bar without a registry hack and even then, it doesn't look right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Also, on my Windows 11 installation:

Settings/System/Sound

Go to the bottom of the screen and click More Sound Settings. The slick Windows 11 menu is then replaced by a familiar much older dialog. Click the Sounds tab - the Sound Scheme should be set to No Sounds but near the foot of the menus is a check box, that is not in the list of scheme sounds, for "Play Windows Start-up sound".

I rather like Windows 11 - the interface is quite nice and all my software and devices are working fine. My only niggle is that there is no way of shrinking the task bar without a registry hack and even then, it doesn't look right.
Thanks. I'll try that.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ethically, Windows 11 not "officially" supporting 3 year old hardware is a huge mistake in a time where most are getting more conscious about waste. Whilst there are workarounds, most menial pc users will likely swallow the hit of new hardware to ensure they're up to date and wash their hands with it. People will jump to microshafts defence and say its about security. Well, it is convenient but likely optional and unnecessary. Security holes caused by old cpu microcode is rare. Some might be aware of the spectre meltdown issues affecting some intel cpu's made around 2011-16 ish. This was fixed with a microcode update and to this day there is no evidence anybody exploited this security hole. Frankly, this level of security flaw is the least of Windows problems regarding security of users data. The cynic in me would suggest this all one big stuffed brown envelope exchange between the large pc hardware manufacturers...

Last edited:
Reactions: DRM

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
They've spent a lot of time making senseless changes to the task bar.

Where's my analogue clock gone? The one that opening the time and date part of the task bar would launch.
Why won't the task bar launch when the cursor's over to the right? (I keep the task bar out of the way until I need it).
Why is there now a large blank space on the left of the task bar (where Start used to be)
Why does the Widget icon only launch news feeds?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Windows 10 is supported for a few years yet. I would say there's no overwhelming reason to move - I installed it because I've just built myself a brand new PC and within a few reboots of Windows 10, it appeared in Windows Update.

Top Bottom