Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
MrsPete's HP laptop is just under a year old and it must be set to auto update as it just started doing it when she opened it yesterday morning.
I'm not sure if my much older Toshiba will take W11 or not so I'm not firing it up until tomorrow when I'm not going to work and will have longer to fettle.

Mike_P

Guru
Should I upgrade to W11 or stay with W10?
Are there any major advantages with W11?
According to MS there is a performance boost which sounded tempting given my laptop spends a big chunk of time editing videos but reviews tell a completely different story with poorer performance so presumably their will be a raft of patches coming.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
According to MS there is a performance boost which sounded tempting given my laptop spends a big chunk of time editing videos but reviews tell a completely different story with poorer performance so presumably their will be a raft of patches coming.
If your laptop is an AMD Ryzen machine there was a huge hit to performance going to W11 as Intel must have had a bigger brown envelope than AMD and developed their latest Intel processors with Microsoft more closely. It has since been patched and AMD should be ok again. But there was never going to be a performance increase worth talking if at all and if Microshaft really cared about that, they wouldn't stuff their software full of bloatware and telemetry...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Despite having some decent but old machines in the house, only two will run Windows 11 - daughter's 1 year old Ryzen5 and MrsF's 10th Gen i7 laptop. The two 4th Gen i7's won't, nor will the Think station running with Zeon processor (bought second hand, and the thing flies)

Rezillo

TwoSheds
They've spent a lot of time making senseless changes to the task bar.

Why is there now a large blank space on the left of the task bar (where Start used to be)

Settings/System/Personalisation/Task Bar

Task Bar Alighment - change Centre to Left. It's not the complete answer, though, as you still have a Pinned area that comes up before the list of Start Programs (from which you click All Apps). I didn't care for this at first but once I deleted all the junk MS placed there and added my most frequently used items, I've grown to like it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe the processor must have some 'add on' for Windows 11 to work, and that's only in newer machines. Blooming crazy as previous versions would run on most machines.

si_c

Guru
I believe the processor must have some 'add on' for Windows 11 to work, and that's only in newer machines. Blooming crazy as previous versions would run on most machines.
Yeah, it has to support TPM (which is actually part of modern Intel and AMD processors) and Secure Boot which means it needs to support UEFI for boot.

I've not upgraded yet even though my machine supports it and likely I won't for a while as I boot into Archlinux as well as Windows so until I can be bothered sorting boot options properly I'm leaving as-is.

Performance- or support-wise there will be no issue remaining on W10 for at least the next few years.

midlife

Guru
There’s a tiny icon appeared on the laptop screen bottom right, if I hover over it with the mouse it says windows 11 update. Not sure when that arrived lol

Mike_P

Guru
If your laptop is an AMD Ryzen machine there was a huge hit to performance going to W11 as Intel must have had a bigger brown ...
It's a core i5 but still think I'll wait.

steverob

Guru
Downloaded the update checker last week and it said my PC met all the specs for running Windows 11 (which I knew it probably would; it's a beast of a machine) EXCEPT it couldn't find a TPM chip. Thought that was a bit odd, as I bought it only 2 years ago and I thought those had pretty much been standard for ages now.

Checked the UEFI/BIOS just to make sure it hadn't merely been disabled and no, that reports "No Security Device" as well. Maybe the company that built it for me (it was a high-end gaming rig) decided not to add one?

Anyway, I guess it means I'll be staying with Win 10 for a while yet then. Which is fine with me, as I tend to skip odd versions of Windows - had 98, missed ME, had XP, missed Vista, had 7, missed 8, now on 10... when's 12 coming out?

Rezillo

TwoSheds
If it is only two years old, TPM should be present in firmware. You may have an empty TPM socket on the motherboard but the bios should have a setting to switch between firmware TPM and the (assumed empty) TPM socket, which would give the No Security Device response. I don't know why motherboards have both but I guess if there were to be TPM v3, you could disable the firmware TPM2, plug in a TPMv3 module and use that.

My guess would be that TPM is not enabled in the bios and you have come across the setting to enable the plugin module that is reporting no TPM plugged into the socket.

Microsoft's advice has:

"These settings are sometimes contained in a sub-menu in the UEFI BIOS labeled Advanced, Security, or Trusted Computing. The option to enable the TPM may be labeled Security Device, Security Device Support, TPM State, AMD fTPM switch, AMD PSP fTPM, Intel PTT, or Intel Platform Trust Technology".

Being under PTT seems to be common.

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
I do find it strange that when we are all being asked to be more environmentally friendly and not just dump perfectly usable electronics, that Microsoft think it's acceptable to go out and buy a new PC to get an OS update, I think a lot of people could well be tempted to give linux a whirl once support for W10 stops, either that or they will let older machines capable of running W11 update too

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There's no confirmation of it and im theorising but i suspect W11 could get more nefarious yet. Currently there are a list of "supported" CPU's required to run windows 11, some as have been pointed out aren't that old. There is nothing stopping W11 from not supporting/dropping support for 3 year old processors in 2025 etc that are yet to be sold, Not too unlike the current mobile phone market. Yes, your old android device will still work when the manufacturers drop support for your 2-3 year old phone, but will become vulnerable to security flaws that won't be patched... That is essentially how W11 works now. My PC has TPM, secure boot, 48 gb RAM and has 16 cores and 32 threads is more than powerful to run W11, but is not "supported". A wasteful trend that does a big curly poo on the environment...

Top Bottom