Windows 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And now the Sandy Bridge-E too, after successfully upgrading the main box. The other was a clean install.
I've rolled this one back. It's an unfinished item in some ways, for example: if you shrink the taskbar to Small (and to do so requires a registry hack), it breaks the overall continuity of the tray icons. Why there isn't a choice in this matter is ridiculous. Even Apple don't restrict that.
I'll leave the SFF box on 11 for now.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
My daughter has a fairly fast Asus gaming laptop I bought it for her at Christmas. She doesn't live with me, she excepted the message about upgrading to Windows 10 at her mothers house. If she was with me I'd of told her to stick with 10. She's complaining that the laptop is sluggish. It was over 10 days ago when the installation was done so I can't revert it.

This used to be a really fast laptop, now it takes ages to boot. Just wondered if there is anything that can be done to it to improve things? Otherwise I'm going to have to completely wipe it and install windows 10.

Thanks Microsoft, quality as per usual.

The laptop has an I7 CPU, SSD, 16GB RAM, fast graphics card, and runs like a 10 year old machine now. All most people want from an operating system is a simple way to access programs.

Hopefully it will be resolved with updates. Maybe the answer is a fresh install of Windows 11, not an upgrade. Rather than waste more timeI have a feeling that wiping the computer and installing Windows 10 is the way forward.

My daughter has a fairly fast Asus gaming laptop I bought it for her at Christmas. She doesn't live with me, she excepted the message about upgrading to Windows 10 at her mothers house. If she was with me I'd of told her to stick with 10. She's complaining that the laptop is sluggish. It was over 10 days ago when the installation was done so I can't revert it.

This used to be a really fast laptop, now it takes ages to boot. Just wondered if there is anything that can be done to it to improve things? Otherwise I'm going to have to completely wipe it and install windows 10.

The laptop has an I7 CPU, SSD, 16GB RAM, fast graphics card, and runs like a 10 year old machine now. All most people want from an operating system is a simple way to access programs.

Hopefully it will be resolved with updates. Maybe the answer is a fresh install of Windows 11, not an upgrade. Rather than waste more timeI have a feeling that wiping the computer and installing Windows 10 is the way forward.

And yet, and yet...
I've just upgraded a Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, non-UEFI-no TPM laptop, with minimal fiddling.
It runs just as it did before.
I would do some serious housekeeping on it, and see what happens. I'll bet it will improve. A lot.

Norton Utilities is good for stripping out all the junk and speeding things up.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
You're not kidding.

I don't know how they have managed to get away with selling that crap for so long.

I have a friend that still has Norton on subscription purchase as he does not trust the inbuilt Windows solution.

Bizarre - not purchased AV for many a year and never had a problem.

Both laptops running spot-on here with W11 - no problems whatsoever. Friends and family (where the conversation has cropped up) say the same.

As with most things it's only problems, usually for a minority, that tend to be raised on forums.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I reckon people who don't trust the Windows AV solution just think they're 'above' something cost free and built in. 3rd party and paid for has got to be better, right? I've never had any problem either, unless I rashly install a plug-in or hastily download a manual which has turned out to contain some malware. The people i know who keep getting malware and viruses must be choosing to install them. They don't just happen, IME.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Some ISPs offer free AV/internet security subscriptions. BT for example offer Norton but the suggestion made was Norton Utilities, a Maintenance package which typically a PC will have equivalent disk cleanup etc software as part of the manufacturers installed software.

Thats right Norton Utilities is quite convenient for sorting out registry problems, freeing up background RAM usage etc. I know you can do most of it in Windows with a bit of know-how.

keithmac

Guru
To be fair to Microsoft, there antivirus is actually quite good.

As said people get click happy on dodgy sites ans that's where all the damage is done.

I believe W11 crippled some AMD machines but Intel were normally OK.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You can do ALL of it and more in Windows, but yes, you do need the know-how. Like Linux, if you're prepared to get your hands dirty using a command line terminal and/or PowerShell, you can do pretty much anything. Uninstall Edge, gor example.
On a similar, albeit slightly OTT theme, you can uninstall all or most of the garbage and bloatware that comes pre-installed on many Android phones, using a modicum of ADB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom