Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Is there a Synaptics app on it anywhere for you to adjust things? Alternatively have a look in settings - devices, you get to them from the cog that shows up on the left side of the start menu.
Yes, I've already checked all the touchpad settings, they're identical to those on the old computer. There's nothing that really seems relevant anyway.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, I've already checked all the touchpad settings, they're identical to those on the old computer. There's nothing that really seems relevant anyway.
Well, there should be this one ('Locking Drag') which is REALLY relevant...

It sounds like yours is set to 'Holding Drag'!

presta

Guru
Well, there should be this one ('Locking Drag') which is REALLY relevant...

View attachment 500660

It sounds like yours is set to 'Holding Drag'!
That's a different kettle of fish entirely, I found that. My old computer releases when I lift my finger without the need to tap again, but won't release if I just momentarily lift my finger whilst I reposition it away from the edge of the pad.

I've worked out what the difference is, they're a totally different design. On the old one, the pointer gravity always remains the same, so that the pointer always moves the same distance for a given amount of finger movement. The new one is speed sensitive, so that if you want to move the pointer all the way across the screen without running out of space on the pad, you have to give it a fast 'flick' like you're throwing it, then it will move further than if you stroke your finger the same distance more slowly. It's possible, but it's an utter PITA. The pad also has a button underneath the main pad area (in addition to the left & right clicks at the bottom), so an alternative method is to press and hold the button with one finger whilst stroking the pad with another. Possible, but again, it's just a clumsy PITA.

ColinJ

TBH - I don't like the touchpad action on my new laptop either! The old Dell has a tiny pad but it does have real, separate buttons which are easy to use. The 'push hard against the pad without moving the pointer' action on my new Lenovo is fiddly. I either end up using my right hand to operate the pointer and my left the button, or I tap/doubletap the pad.

I actually have a mouse plugged in now a lot of the time. (A cable mouse - a cordless mouse I tried was not reliable!)

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
The trackpad on my MacBook Air was great, probably the best thing about it, and I miss it.

How do you manage a mouse @ColinJ and @DCBassman when the laptop is on your lap not a table?

BTW, I migrated my desktop PC to Win10 yesterday and it went swimmingly. So far, I'm really happy because there is a great Spider Solitaire app/program. Thanks to everyone for all the tips on this thread, especially the link to migrate free of charge.

The trackpad on my MacBook Air was great, probably the best thing about it, and I miss it.

How do you manage a mouse @ColinJ and @DCBassman when the laptop is on your lap not a table?

BTW, I migrated my desktop PC to Win10 yesterday and it went swimmingly. So far, I'm really happy because there is a great Spider Solitaire app/program. Thanks to everyone for all the tips on this thread, especially the link to migrate free of charge.
Should I ever use a laptop that way, then trackpad it is. The one on the upgraded Dell Studio 1535 I'm currently using does work fine, I just generally don't like the things...
My wife's Dell Latitude E5410 has trackbutton in the middle of the keyboard, no idea why, much later model than mine!

presta

Guru
TBH - I don't like the touchpad action on my new laptop either! The old Dell has a tiny pad but it does have real, separate buttons which are easy to use. The 'push hard against the pad without moving the pointer' action on my new Lenovo is fiddly. I either end up using my right hand to operate the pointer and my left the button, or I tap/doubletap the pad.

I actually have a mouse plugged in now a lot of the time. (A cable mouse - a cordless mouse I tried was not reliable!)
I'll take back some of what I said last night. I've been playing around again in more detail, and the pointer gravity (or speed as they call it) does vary with speed of swipe on the old one too. I hadn't noticed, because the speed on the old one is much lower by default. Measuring carefully this morning, On the old Samsung I get 48mm on the screen for a slow 70mm swipe on the pad, but the new HP was giving 84 on the screen for the same 70 on the pad. This was with the slider in the dialogue box set the same. Now that I've adjusted the new one to match the old one it helps a lot, it doesn't fix the problem with the drag releasing but it makes the frustration easier to deal with.

The computers in the library are desktops with mice, and I really miss the touchpad when I use them. I keep stroking the desk in front of the keyboard.

This is my new one:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...l-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html
It's nothing like the 10 hour battery life they claim, I got 5 hours surfing last night, 4.5 before the battery save mode kicked in.

I'll take back some of what I said last night. I've been playing around again in more detail, and the pointer gravity (or speed as they call it) does vary with speed of swipe on the old one too. I hadn't noticed, because the speed on the old one is much lower by default. Measuring carefully this morning, On the old Samsung I get 48mm on the screen for a slow 70mm swipe on the pad, but the new HP was giving 84 on the screen for the same 70 on the pad. This was with the slider in the dialogue box set the same. Now that I've adjusted the new one to match the old one it helps a lot, it doesn't fix the problem with the drag releasing but it makes the frustration easier to deal with.

The computers in the library are desktops with mice, and I really miss the touchpad when I use them. I keep stroking the desk in front of the keyboard.

This is my new one:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...l-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-silver-10198859-pdt.html
It's nothing like the 10 hour battery life they claim, I got 5 hours surfing last night, 4.5 before the battery save mode kicked in.
Looks like a nice fast machine. Don't defrag it!

presta

Guru
Looks like a nice fast machine. Don't defrag it!
I'm not really sure how I chose the old machine, but the new one was as near a copy of it as I could get for fear that I might notice the difference. My absolute number one priority was no glossy screens, which rules out most of them (if I wanted to see my own fisog I'd have bought a shaving mirror). I didn't want a silver keyboard either, but hey ho.

ColinJ

I can't sit at a table or desk for long these days*** (my gammy left leg gets swollen in about 10 minutes) so I have to use the laptop on my lap with my legs up on a footstool. I have the laptop on a tray that I bought from Lidl for a few pounds. The tray has a 'bean bag' attached underneath so it is easy to get it in a very comfortable position. I sit on the RH side of a sofa which has a flattish armrest big enough to support a 'mousepad' (old diary). It is a pretty good setup, though I would prefer the armrest to be a few cms lower. I might try sitting on a pile of cushions to raise me that distance.

My absolute number one priority was no glossy screens, which rules out most of them (if I wanted to see my own fisog I'd have bought a shaving mirror).
I agree with that. My Lenovo has an excellent matt screen.

*** If I could find a suitable affordable recumbent office chair, I would go back to sitting at my desk!

alicat

Legendary Member
^^^ Thank you @ColinJ. And I even get a pic of my own avatar, how cool is that?

My armchair has a rounded arm so your set up won't work. I think I'm going to use a mouse more and perhaps move to the table to use it. Should improve my activity levels (some hope methinks).

Top Bottom