Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mart44

Über Member
Windows 10 recognises when an SSD is installed and trims instead of defragging.

presta

Guru
I agree with that. My Lenovo has an excellent matt screen.

*** If I could find a suitable affordable recumbent office chair, I would go back to sitting at my desk!
Remember when flat screen TVs arrived: "Look at this new antiglare screen, no more reflections from a shiny CRT!". Now they're all shiny again.

Have you tried the charity shops, I've seen a couple of office chairs in BHF that I've been tempted to buy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you tried the charity shops, I've seen a couple of office chairs in BHF that I've been tempted to buy.
RECUMBENT office chairs? :whistle:

Mart44

Über Member
I didn't know that. I just found THIS article mentioning it. There is a strange double negative - setting DisableDeleteNotify disabled means that trim is enabled! :wacko:

I decided to clean install W.10 a while ago when version 1903 was released. I found that the 'Optimise' button started the 'trim' process without needing to make sure it was enabled. It looks to be the default if an SSD is being used.

On the next version, when you open the Performance tab in Task Manager, it will explicitly label drives as HDD or SSD.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thesaurus to the rescue!
:thumbsup:

I have a tatty old office chair which isn't worth much so I think I will have a go at modifying the back rest on that to get it into a reclining position. (I should be able to drill some new mounting holes in the metal strut to which it is attached. I already have a spare footstool which I could use with the chair to get my legs horizontal.)

Meanwhile back at the Linux replacement for Win 7... I am going to install the same version of Linux on the little netbook which was donated to me recently. I will be interested to see how well it works on that, given its small low-res screen and relative lack of memory.

PS The 'sun loungers' that I thought had been left in my cellar by the previous tenants turn out to just be folding garden chairs.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
Well it was good whilst it lasted. After 3 days of blissful lightning fast computing, the new machine is grindingly slow like the old one this morning. Jerky scrolling, characters appearing slowly one at a time after typing a word, pregnant pause after pressing start menu button, file explorer window opens slowly in several flickering stages instead of instantly. WTF has gone wrong so quickly?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well it was good whilst it lasted. After 3 days of blissful lightning fast computing, the new machine is grindingly slow like the old one this morning. Jerky scrolling, characters appearing slowly one at a time after typing a word, pregnant pause after pressing start menu button, file explorer window opens slowly in several flickering stages instead of instantly. WTF has gone wrong so quickly?
That sounds distinctly like symptoms of a nasty. I'd strongly suggest you download & run Malwarebytes - it's the Daddy when it comes to nasties. It's free, BTW.

Top Bottom