Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
attempt number 2 to upgrade to W10... set up has failed ...grrrrr

will try again tomorrow. I'm sure it's some running processes getting in the way.

but tomorrow was supposed to be service my bike day :blush:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Finally got my windows ten free on my lappy,courtesy on son in law.
Seems fine, not that i use my lappy much.

Trickedem

Guru
I have a PC we use with our tv to watch films. Mine didn't work at first. Did a checkdsk and deleted temp files and glad to say it finally installed.

MontyVeda

After stopping all non essential running processes (itunes, malwarebytes, etc)... i tried again. it failed.

following tips online, I uninstalled malware bytes, the only non MS security app i have, tried again, it failed

working through the list of tips, I ran windows update, installed the updates, tried to upgrade to W10 again, it failed.

I installed windows update trouble shooter, which apparently fixed a few things, tried the upgrade again, it failed.

ran the trouble shooter again and managed to sort out one problem it highlighted but couldn't fix (deleting a 4 year old update)... rebooted, tried to upgrade to W10 again and after half an hour of it going through its checks and stuff, said "you need to remove MS Security Essentials". Uninstalled that and it seems to getting a lot further. Slightly annoying that MS's online advice was to remove all non-MS virus and malware stuff, only to be told part way through the upgrade to remove their own security app too. :cursing:

would have been quicker to do the clean install rather than the upgrade.

[edit] finally a successful upgrade! what a palava... but at least it seems to have kept everything, bookmarks, logins, software, etc. :okay:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
, "you need to remove MS Security Essentials". Uninstalled that and it seems to getting a lot further. Slightly annoying that MS's online advice was to remove all non-MS virus and malware stuff, only to be told part way through the upgrade to remove their own security app too. :cursing:.
Security Essentials is replaced by Windows Defender in W10, presumably the install process keeps your pc protected to the point that SE has be removed.

MontyVeda

How are you getting on @MontyVeda?
all upgraded and sorted on my desktop PC. Once I'd figured out what was causing the upgrade to fail it was plain sailing.

I've removed all those stupid tiles from the start menu and turned off that cortana, edge and quick access nonsense, minimised that waste of space they call a search box from the task bar and all is good. I actually prefer it to 7 already. :okay:

Went for the clean install on my laptop which was quicker than the upgrade. But that doesn't need anywhere near the amount of software my desktop has.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've removed all those stupid tiles from the start menu and turned off that cortana, edge and quick access nonsense, minimised that waste of space they call a search box from the task bar and all is good.

May I ask how you did those things? I'd love to get Win10 to act more like Win7.

MontyVeda

May I ask how you did those things? I'd love to get Win10 to act more like Win7.
Of course...
Mostly just by right clicking on each icon/tile and selecting unpin from either the start menu or task bar.
Regarding the search box, right click and there's a menu under 'search' which gives the option of hiding it, showing just the icon or the full search box.
Right click on 'quick access' in the file explorer and go to options where you can stop it from adding all recently viewed and used files to the QA menu.
Hope this helps :smile:

Mike_P

Guru
Definitely use Open Shell, Classic Shell will still work with W10 but not without W10 throwing up initially error messages everytime you start the pc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suggest that if you upgrade your OS and change your password then make a note of it somewhere... :whistle:

(Fortunately, I had only added a few non-alphabetic characters to my old password, so I was able to guess the new one after 6 or 7 attempts!)

Top Bottom