Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I can find the time, I would like to study what makes Linux tick. I used to fall asleep in my 'Operating systems and networks' lectures because we had a lecturer with a very soporific voice and I would be dozy after a hearty lunch. On the rare occasions when I stayed awake I found the lectures interesting! :laugh:

presta

Guru
Right click on 'quick access' in the file explorer and go to options where you can stop it from adding all recently viewed and used files to the QA menu.
You can also set File Explorer to default to This PC instead of Quick Access that way.

QA had me confused before I realised what it is. I thought a load of files had been copied off a USB stick onto the computer without my asking. I also discovered that I've had a load of my files on One Drive for the last 5 years without my knowledge, it appears to have happened when I was trying to find out how to download Email attachments. I find W10 disorientating, half the time I'm wondering whether the window I'm using is on the OS or the internet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why don't people like Quick Access? I stumbled across it, and now use it all the time. Quick access to the things you've been working on recently - what's not to like?

alicat

Legendary Member
I do quite like it and I also like having choice so my question the other day was more about how to adapt Win10 to suit me. ^_^

mustang1

Guru
Personally I like it.

It IS a good OS. But I blame open source life development methodologies for the illa of our society by deploying into production code that is not ready for such.

I dislike the mantra of "just get version 1 out the door". What happened to the "we have to make this work before it's released to market". Sure, the product becomes better as time goes on with the updates. It I find these problems in so many consumer products.

This is NOT the fault of Linux, but I blame the methodologies used that created a product such as Linux.

Is windows better? Well, there is more support for more stuff more of the time, so based on that criteria, yes. I dislike the updates windows gets as well.

I understand WHY it's done, but I don't agree with it and think more products should be rolled using something like 6 sigma methods.

D

Deleted member 1258

It IS a good OS. But I blame open source life development methodologies for the illa of our society by deploying into production code that is not ready for such.

I dislike the mantra of "just get version 1 out the door". What happened to the "we have to make this work before it's released to market". Sure, the product becomes better as time goes on with the updates. It I find these problems in so many consumer products.

This is NOT the fault of Linux, but I blame the methodologies used that created a product such as Linux.

Is windows better? Well, there is more support for more stuff more of the time, so based on that criteria, yes. I dislike the updates windows gets as well.

I understand WHY it's done, but I don't agree with it and think more products should be rolled using something like 6 sigma methods.

I usually run the LTS version, I'm not a fan of the 6 monthly update routine, they seem to have that better sorted these days though, but I remember back when I first started how poorly sorted it was sometimes.

presta

Guru
What do people do if they want more than one account?

On W7 I had an admin account and a separate user account for everyday use, but if I want that on W10 it won't let me use the same email address. I tried setting up a user with an alias on the same Hotmail a/c, and it worked, but both accounts appear on the login page with the same name, so it's difficult to see which is which. I could use separate emails, but the one I'd prefer for the user account is now already linked to the admin account.

I still haven't transferred my files off the old computer, because I'm trying to sort this before I move them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Because it makes it look like files are in places where they don't belong, and making things confusing is a recipe for mistakes.
I had that the other day!

I plugged a USB stick in to do my Linux update and then started messing about with some photos, not realising that they were on the USB stick rather than the laptop's SSD. A couple of days later I went to look at the photos again and they had disappeared. It took me a while to realise that they had never actually been on the laptop in the first place!

Top Bottom