Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Also check of its downloading anything, at times mine slows and a look at Setting-Updates & Security-Windows updates shows some download in progress or being installed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

presta

Guru
That sounds distinctly like symptoms of a nasty. I'd strongly suggest you download & run Malwarebytes - it's the Daddy when it comes to nasties. It's free, BTW.
Yes I have MWB on the old one, it never found anything though. I need to decide what I'm going to use in the long run too. The Norton I already have on the other one will do this for no extra cost, but at the moment this is on the free trial of McAfee, which is £25 for both machines. TBH I'm tempted to give Mac a try, as Norton has always struck me as a bit arcane and labyrinthine. I don't like them helping themselves to my credit card either, but I dare say Mac does that too.

presta

Guru
Also check of its downloading anything, at times mine slows and a look at Setting-Updates & Security-Windows updates shows some download in progress or being installed.
It was back to normal after an hour or two, which makes it sound a bit like that, but there were no W10 updates since last Thursday.

I would use Ctrl-Alt-Del to call up Task Manager to give a better idea of what was hogging the PC resources.
The CPU usage was ticking over at about 5% at the time, that was often the case on the old one too. Memory usage was about 3GB, but I don't know what all the processes are, most of them don't mean anything to me. As I type this, they're 15-20% and 5GB, and not slow at all.

If it's happening because it's busy doing something legitimate, it would be useful to be able to find out what, and have the option to pause it or reschedule it, but I've no idea if that's possible or how.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes I have MWB on the old one, it never found anything though. I need to decide what I'm going to use in the long run too. The Norton I already have on the other one will do this for no extra cost, but at the moment this is on the free trial of McAfee, which is £25 for both machines. TBH I'm tempted to give Mac a try, as Norton has always struck me as a bit arcane and labyrinthine. I don't like them helping themselves to my credit card either, but I dare say Mac does that too.
For regular anti-virus I'd say you'd be better off with Avast, which is free and (as I understand it) less bloated and resource-hungry than Norton or McAfee.

presta

Guru
For regular anti-virus I'd say you'd be better off with Avast, which is free and (as I understand it) less bloated and resource-hungry than Norton or McAfee.
Which magazine rate that fairly highly, their top performer is Avira which also has a free version.

presta

Guru
I use ESET. A paid app but works very well and doesn't slow your machine down. Plus it's multi-device too so my subscription covers my Linux PC, Windows PC and MacBook.
Which rate Avira first, then ESET second and Avast third. Do the free ones only work on one computer?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Which rate Avira first, then ESET second and Avast third. Do the free ones only work on one computer?
Avast works on as many computers as you like. I've never done comparison tests needless to say, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Avast, and I've used it for years with never an issue.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
well after a windows update stopped my (W7) desktop PC from booting up, then spending half an hour trying to work out how to put the USB drive to the top of the boot sequence in my bios, only to discover i don't have to, then spending an hour of waiting for Windows 10 setup to upgrade my desktop PC... i got the blunt message "set up has failed" no explanation as to why :blush:

Top Bottom