Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
QA is sought of Win7 recent docs on out of control steroids. One of the good things about Open shell is in bringing back the W7 start menu you get a sensible W7 like recent docs. There is a way to set up a recent docs icon on W10 but having tried it is a bit hit and miss on whether something is listed.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
As I type I have a new 6 Core 16GB desktop all ready to go for tomorrow :hyper:

As I type I have a new 6 Core 16GB desktop all ready to go for tomorrow :hyper:
I'm awaiting a hand-me-down from my younger son.
Already have the monster case, just awaiting the Asus P9X79 mobo and Core i7 3820, which is hyper-threaded quad core, so OS sees 8 cores.
More power than I'll ever know what to do with...
Edit: complete with 32GB of DDR3 1866 ram.
Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Already have the monster case, just awaiting the Asus P9X79 mobo and Core i7 3820, which is huper-threaded quad core, so OS sees 8 cores.
Ridiculous.
Good games machine!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What do people do if they want more than one account?

On W7 I had an admin account and a separate user account for everyday use, but if I want that on W10 it won't let me use the same email address. I tried setting up a user with an alias on the same Hotmail a/c, and it worked, but both accounts appear on the login page with the same name, so it's difficult to see which is which. I could use separate emails, but the one I'd prefer for the user account is now already linked to the admin account.

I still haven't transferred my files off the old computer, because I'm trying to sort this before I move them.
Why bother with separate accounts? I have separate accounts for separate people, but not for an admin.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Already have the monster case, just awaiting the Asus P9X79 mobo and Core i7 3820, which is huper-threaded quad core, so OS sees 8 cores.
Ridiculous.
Have you gone for silent cooling? I get really annoyed by noisy fans. A powerful machine like that would be ideal for a home music studio, where you definitely wouldn't want a lot of noise from the computer.

Good games machine!
The newest game I ever play is Unreal Tournament 3.
This rig will not even notice that it's running!
Have you gone for silent cooling? I get really annoyed by noisy fans. A powerful machine like that would be ideal for a home music studio, where you definitely wouldn't want a lot of noise from the computer.
The case has a water cooler, ready and waiting, and another 4 low-rpm 120mm fans. It whispers.
I just have to save for the 650W modular PSU it needs, because he gave me a GTX Titan X to go with it!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just that it's a bit less accident prone if you don't give yourself admin privileges whilst you're not using them.
Just make sure your UAC prompts are on. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ccount-control/how-user-account-control-works

Mart44

Über Member
This little computer is my latest one (an 'Intel NUC' bought from an Ebay seller for £250). The more I use it, the more I think it's good enough to take the place of my full-size Desktop computer. The Onboard graphics might not be up to running high demand games but it runs the ones I've got with no problem, along with all the other programs I use.

Although small, the box has an Intel i5 processor, 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD. This makes it pretty quick to boot up and open programs. The fan noise is only slight. I've now finished loading it with programs and sorting things out how I want them.

It came with an un-activated copy of Windows 10 Pro on it. Fortunately, I have a couple of retail Windows 7 Home disks bought from Amazon in 2009 on a pre-release offer. Those were well worth the money as the keys are transferable from computer to computer.

Although I couldn't activate Windows 10 Pro using one of the W.7 Home keys, I was able to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch choosing the 'Home' option and then use the W.7 key to activate it.

All is running well now and I'm pleased with the purchase. The box maybe doesn't look very pretty in the photo because it still has the cellophane cover stuck to it. I won't remove that until the 30 day money back guarantee expires. The pen doesn't come free with every purchase. :smile: I just put it there to give some idea of the size of the box.

oqIeVal.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

This little computer is my latest one (an 'Intel NUC' bought from an Ebay seller for £250). The more I use it, the more I think it's good enough to take the place of my full-size Desktop computer. The Onboard graphics might not be up to running high demand games but it runs the ones I've got with no problem, along with all the other programs I use.

Although small, the box has an Intel i5 processor, 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD. This makes it pretty quick to boot up and open programs. The fan noise is only slight. I've now finished loading it with programs and sorting things out how I want them.

It came with an un-activated copy of Windows 10 Pro on it. Fortunately, I have a couple of retail Windows 7 Home disks bought from Amazon in 2009 on a pre-release offer. Those were well worth the money as the keys are transferable from computer to computer.

Although I couldn't activate Windows 10 Pro using one of the W.7 Home keys, I was able to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch choosing the 'Home' option and then use the W.7 key to activate it.

All is running well now and I'm pleased with the purchase. The box maybe doesn't look very pretty in the photo because it still has the cellophane cover stuck to it. I won't remove that until the 30 day money back guarantee expires. The pen doesn't come free with every purchase. :smile: I just put it there to give some idea of the size of the box.

View attachment 501965

Thats neat.

Top Bottom