Winnats Pass, Derbyshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapster1989

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so mods, feel free to move it to the correct place.

Has anyone attempted Winnats Pass before? For those that don't know Winnats Pass lies inbetween Castleton and Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire and is a monster of a climb... certainly for me it is anyway.

On my ride today I encountered 'The Beast' as I will refer to it at around 20 miles in after averaging around 15mph into a stiff breeze.

Let's just say the hill defeated me and I turned around at the half-way stage.

I knew I was in for something when I passed the 1:5 sign at the bottom. Little did I know that this increases to nearly 1:4 half-way up, which is where I had to turn back.

Just curious to see how many people have traversed this road and if anyone had failed attempts like I did.

My ride can be found here on Strava for those that are wondering.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yep, it's an arse. I folded at the 1:4 stage- I've heard it said that if you're in the bottom half of the block when you go through the gate at the bottom, you won't make it. True in my case.

OP
OP
Mapster1989

Mapster1989

When I checked the profile before hand I thought it would have been achievable but it's a lot different when you get there. I'm glad it's not just me that turned back though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not done it for some years, but it is a bugger. You need room to weave, especially if you have a standard crankset. Traffic can make this tricky. Best done with others. Jenkins Chapel is worse due to constant gradient changes and a poor surface.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The point where I turned around was at around 4:00 on that video. My legs had gone and the thought of another 20 or so miles just defeated me.
You replied less than 4 minutes after I posted the video - you didn't have time to watch it! (Unless you've seen it before, of course ...) :whistle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I did it last year with 400bhp and Sportmonkey and a couple of others. It is not very pleasant. We had got to it over The Snake which is quite a nice climb (suits my long drag spinny climbing style) . Winnatts for me was a test rather than a hill I would choose to do over and over again.
Sportmonkey tried to do it on a SS and failed which to be honest was not a suprise. At one point the gradient is over 33% not good. Good to say you have done it though. The anticipation of going up it ramps your heart rate before you even get to the steep bit. :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Not done it for some years, but it is a bugger. You need room to weave, especially if you have a standard crankset. Traffic can make this tricky. Best done with others. Jenkins Chapel is worse due to constant gradient changes and a poor surface.

No way is Jenkins worse.

I enjoy climbing but I *hate* Winnats. I tackled it twice in 2012, the first time in about 20 years, I think one of the reasons I hate it is because it's busy and it's almost impossible to weave these days as you mention (which you could in the past). This then becomes psychological as you start to think of not falling off rather than concentrating about getting up the hill.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Is it acheiveable running 34/28 ? I have it included in a ride planned in for summer and don't want to fail mentally even before trying.

You can do it on a 39/25 if you are fit enough. ^_^ Sorry if that sounds a little patronising, but to be honest it is down to your own fitness level. A 34/28 is a nice low gear and you should be alright with that if you are reasonably bike fit.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom