Winnats Pass, Derbyshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mapster1989

Mapster1989

If you're reading this thread and don't know what we're all on about then I suggest you angle one of your rides to include this climb. It's certainly an achievement to get to the top that's for sure.

simmi

Über Member
Its on my list to do, been a bit south of there to Matlock which is fully loaded with tough climbs, first did Bank road then back down the hill and straight into Riber which I didn't quite make, had to stop and die for a few minutes with the finish in sight.
If anyone has done these and Winnats I would be interested as to how they compare.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
It's all about gearing isn't it? I know of an ex pat on a Brompton with 18" bottom gear and he does both winnats and hardknott sat down, when he comes "home" on holiday.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done Winnats twice but I won't do it again. It's not a fun hill but one that you should try. I'd rather grind away on Ventoux for 2 hours than hurt that much. My lowest gear which was the only one used was 30 x 25 and I was in it from the cattle grid.
I don't think it ever gets to 33% though which Hardknot does. I failed on Hardknot but that was on the |Fred Whitton after 100 miles. I'd have failed anyway I think even if I'd been fresher.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Does anyone know how Winnats compares to Hardknott in the Lakes ?
nowhere near as tough.

I did it Winnats once, on a group ride early in the morning. It was some time ago (1985) but unless they've made it steeper it wasn't so difficult. My lowest gear (of twelve!) would have been a 40/24.

The top of the pass was covered in fog. The ceiling of fog, combined with the steep walls of the pass, gave the impression of being in a cathedral. It was a quiet morning, and the sound seemed to bounce down from the fog. I'll not forget that as long as I live.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I walked up Winnats and back down again on a walking holiday about 20 years ago and I was very impressed by it. Parts of it didn't look like the UK at all.

I always meant to organise a long, hard forum ride from Hebden Bridge to take in that climb. It would have been a great day out on the bikes, probably about 100 miles with 8,000 or so feet of climbing also including Holme Moss and Snake Pass and a multitude of other big local climbs. If/when my health issues get resolved then I'll do that! :thumbsup:

lanternerouge

Veteran
A mate who lives in Whaley does it often as hill reps....he's our unit pti and ex boot neck.
Never been up that rd so couldn't comment but if he says its challanging then I believe him.

He does it as hill reps?!!!? OMG....

It is on my list of cycling goals to make it up there!

This is my first effort on the Tour of the Peak... made it just past the photographer! ;)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1361023503.089643.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1361023503.089643.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 87

Hicky

Guru
I'll be seeing him tomorrow morning and ask his gearing, if you see a dark haired bloke running around Whaley bridge wearing a Bergen it is him!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
First time I tried Winnats was a Sunday and I failed, I need to weave and the traffic didn't allow it. Next time was a Monday and I managed it but only just. No prizes for the speed though. Legs were like jelly near the top. It's one of those hills I wouldn't be confident about getting up again, it would depend on how I felt on the day. Whereas some hills I could get up however I felt (Cat and Fiddle being one).
Hardknott is tougher - that one I've never managed from either side.

Top Bottom