Winter clothes for beginner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Currently only wear these for cycling. as well as normal trainers with the laces tucked in, instead of proper cycling shoes, also have fingerless gloves and a helmet cap that covers my ears but doesn't keep them warm.

Haven't been on the bike since July and need to get back on it.

What 'winter' clothes 'should' I invest in?

23950141537_e2e95c43d9_c.jpg 3C0A1984.jpg by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Also wouldn't mind some mudguards for my CX bike

24943039768_d4982f299d_c.jpg 3C0A1990.jpg by Daelpix Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Layering is your friend.
Sondico base layers from Sports Direct are good and cheap.
Planet X do some decent winter bundles too.

And overshoes are a revelation, even if you've not gone clipless.

vickster

Legendary Member
Altura winter cruisers over cycling shorts. Altura night vision evo jacket. Baselayers of choice. Decent socks and gloves. A running headband to keep ears warm. A skullcap or if you are short of hair and wear a helmet. Some sort of beanie otherwise if it’s cold enough

Mudguards, whatever your lbs can get to fit. My CX team wears SKS commuter guards, fitted for £8 by the nice chaps at Halfords :okay:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For a first winter you could try:

- Leggings, over your shorts
- Thermal bib shorts
- Gloves - thermal / winter ones
- Overshoes
- Thick merino socks (I like BaaBaa ones)
- Long sleeve base layer
- Thermal jacket

They don't have to be expensive; eBay / Decathlon / similar

In terms of mudguards it depends whether the bike's got eyelets for bolts - it looks to not have - and you've wider tyres.

I run these, which are currently £7.50 at Evans: https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-trail-hybrid-city-mudguard-set-700c-x-23-38c-EV170414

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We all have different ideas and some stay warmer than others. I have never found a way to stay totally dry and so I aim for damp and warm. You can make your winter kit as cheap or expensive as you want. My expensive piece of kit was a Gore rain jacket and it is brilliant.

I use this long sleeve base layer from Planet x. They are so good, I bought three. They wash well and dry quick and keep me warm.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXLSBL/planet-x-pro-365x-long-sleeve-base-layer

Aldi make a cycling soft shell jacket and I think it is one of the best pieces of cycling kit I have got. When you can get them. It is has a thin fleece inner and keeps you warm.

http://road.cc/content/review/194660-aldi-men’s-softshell-cycling-jacket

Polar buffs are great in winter. One round the ears and one round the neck. But the original buffs are hugely expensive for what they are. Make your own or look out for them n Aldi, Netto Lidl.

Arm warmers and leg warmers are great.

I could not use shorts in winter. I use bib tights with leg warmers.

Feet and hands are what seem to suffer most. On my hands I have sealskinz winter gloves and camouflage overmitts off ebay for about a tenner. The best tenner I have spent.

On my feet. Middling marino socks, sealskinz socks over them and neoprene overboots.

You can even put your feet in plastic bags before putting your shoes on. It will help keep them warm. But they will get damp.

I am usually riding about 40km a day. Often a lot more and I always stay warm, except in freezing fog.

But layers is the answer. I am on 4 layers on top at the moment but I can ride all day in any weather.

Eventually, you may find you have to pay a bit more. For Gore and sealskinz for example. But I think its worth it. Even though my first reaction is always "How much"?

As Colin said. Mudguards can help a lot. They help keep your feet dry and that prevents windchill.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Merino base layers are a must. Try looking for early season ski base layers. As others have said, PlanetX do some decent kit, I swear by their neoprene over shoes which are easy to put on, and are dirt cheap.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you are still wearing trainers, get the biggest size of overshoes that you can and make sure they have a large cutout for the sole so that they don't wear out too fast.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Can't agree more with the people above who mention overshoes. Probably the best thing I ever purchased in relation to bikes and I don't really feel the cold and wear shorts all winter.

Top Bottom