Winter cycling top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I am looking to get a winter cycling top/jacket.

Looking at entry level, and happy to spend about £90.

I have DnB cycling shorts and I think they have been good.

Any tips appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How warm do you want. The soft shell's with a windproof membraine are good to just below zero with a base layer under. For really cold days you can get thicker windproofs. Altura and Endura do a few good ones.

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
How warm do you want. The soft shell's with a windproof membraine are good to just below zero with a base layer under. For really cold days you can get thicker windproofs. Altura and Endura do a few good ones.
I am based in the UK, so doesn't get too cold and use to being outside playing golf.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hi

I am looking to get a winter cycling top/jacket.

Looking at entry level, and happy to spend about £90.

I have DnB cycling shorts and I think they have been good.

Any tips appreciated.
We have Altura jackets. They are not particularly thick, but, they keep the wind out. Worn with one or two layers under, we find them good. Our “under layers” are mostly from Aldi, so, not expensive.

I have a cheap hi-vis top from Muddy Fox - thin but windproof

I then vary what I wear underneath - but mostly some kind of zip up fleece - I have 3 - one think, one medium and one extra think
Basically, as both layers can be zipped up or unzipped to whatever degree is necessary I can vary it as required
only problem is if it is raining heavily - when I might not want to get the fleece soaking (hybrid type bike - so not drops therefore upright riding position) in which case I might get too hot
But then I try to avoid riding in the rain!!!

Sharky

Guru
I tend to use my club top all year round. It is very thin, but with some kind of wind mebrane. In the spring/autumn will wear a t-shirt and jumper underneath and in the winter, I will wear a Northface fleece top underneath and summer just the t-shirt, unless really hot, then it will be a short sleeved top.

You mentioned "shorts" - I hope you intend to cover the knees as well during the winter months.

Keep warm

vickster

Legendary Member
Sport pursuit have lots of deals, you have to sign up to browse
Eg a half price Shimano windproof jacket for £50

cm2mackem

Über Member
Stolen goat kit is excellent
The correct answer, Orkaan range is all I use now

Mike_P

Guru
Best to have a number of layers, the wind was strong and cold last Sunday so I had a merino wool baselayer (Aldi), water resistant long sleeve Jersey (Altura, cheap in a sale) and for the starts and ends of the ride a Endura Gillet on along with slightly thick bib tights ( alternative would have been leg warmers with bib shorts)

Last edited:
Top Bottom