Winter cycling top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Windproof jackets don’t need to be thick just windproof. They keep you warm by trapping a warm layer of air in your inner layers. They can be as thin as you like. Purpose of inner layers is to hold that warm air and transport liquid water / sweat away from skin to your outer layers.

I can recommend something like this for your base in cold weather

https://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/brynje/products/brynje-super-thermo-shirt

Last edited:

Kryton521

Über Member
Can highly recommend the DHB Aeron Jacket. Not as breathable as the £200+ models but windproof and warm

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
I was impressed with the DHB padded under shorts I bought.

For winter, I do have base layer trousers. So is my best set up, the padded shorts and then the base layer trousers overneath them?

I am trying to get myself ready for winter cycling. In the summer, I just wore a vest, padded shorts and builders shorts. So my cycling wardrobe is limited.

I also have one set of cycling socks.

Any other useful clothing addition tips appreciated.

Cheers

BS

Do you have cycling shoes ? If so overshoes are great for when it's cold. If not then you'd just end up wearing them out on the pedal.

Planet X have decent cheap stuff too.

Their neoprene overshoes are great and they do cheap buffs. Get two of them - one for under the helmet and another for round your neck.

Padded shorts then longs over the top should keep you toasty.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was impressed with the DHB padded under shorts I bought.

For winter, I do have base layer trousers. So is my best set up, the padded shorts and then the base layer trousers overneath them?

I am trying to get myself ready for winter cycling. In the summer, I just wore a vest, padded shorts and builders shorts. So my cycling wardrobe is limited.

I also have one set of cycling socks.

Any other useful clothing addition tips appreciated.

Cheers

BS
You wear anything padded next to your skin and unpadded over the top (not sure what overneath means???)
You can wear any socks as appropriate for the temperature - get shoes for winter that can take thicker socks if possible or you'll get all manner of foot pain due to overtight shoes

OP
OP
bobsinatra

bobsinatra

Über Member
You wear anything padded next to your skin and unpadded over the top (not sure what overneath means???)
You can wear any socks as appropriate for the temperature - get shoes for winter that can take thicker socks if possible or you'll get all manner of foot pain due to overtight shoes

Yes that is what I meant, thanks.

si_c

Guru
I'm finding the dhb Merino jerseys to be excellent at the moment, got a couple. Using them with aldi merino base layers and some thermal arm warmers and they are keeping me toasty warm.

If it gets too windy then I put a hardshell over the top but don't zip it up, this has been keeping me hot down to about 5°C and warm to around 2°C. Plus it's flexible as to how warm I want to be.

I've never got on with the thicker winter jackets as I always find them too big and not breathable enough, layers works better.

si_c

Guru
I bought my one from Wiggle about 12 years ago. Fantastic jersey which I still wear and looks just as good as when I first bought it,
I've been consistently impressed with all the dhb stuff I've bought to be honest.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Sport pursuit have lots of deals, you have to sign up to browse
Eg a half price Shimano windproof jacket for £50
Really irritates me when a website insists on obtaining my email address before I am even allowed to browse their stock. Cant even bypass it by using a fake email account because it needs to be verified. Surely I am not the only one who refuses to play ball.

vickster

Legendary Member
Really irritates me when a website insists on obtaining my email address before I am even allowed to browse their stock. Cant even bypass it by using a fake email account because it needs to be verified. Surely I am not the only one who refuses to play ball.
Don’t use it then :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

You can get disposable email addresses to which you have access to any emails sent to it whilst you use it.

I would look for something large enough to layer other items under neath, something with pockets, especially an interior security pocket for a phone & pit-zips for ventilation. I got lucky a cpl yrs ago at an outdoor store's basement consignment shop; picking up a Marmot Windstopper jacket for $50

Top Bottom