Winter cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
And you double the risk, by adding a mudguard. It’s a bit like walking into a lions den, then punching the biggest one in the face.

You're grossly exaggerating the risk caused by mudguards. The benefits for regular, all-weather commuters far outweigh the risks of an accident caused by something catching in properly fitted full mudguards. That's based on several tens of thousands of miles commuting on a road bike with full mudguards over many years.

I would think that my club would not insist on mudguards for club runs after the end of BST if there was any evidence that the use of mudguards made accidents more likely - and this rule has been in place for a very long time.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Far more likely to crash as a result of getting mud in your eye from not fitting mudguards. Mudguards are awesome.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
All 4 of my clubs runs on a Sunday, + the saturday runs, the wednesday night run and various others request use of mudguards, and have been doing so for quite a few weeks now.

Until someone gets fatally wounded by one :laugh:

Big T

Guru
So far this winter I've been riding mainly solo so haven't bothered with mudguards but have used an ass-saver that I got in a goody bag and it works pretty well.

For you, maybe. But if you ride in a group, as Ass-saver is totally useless. The guy behind will be getting the spray off your rear wheel full in the face. Mudguards are not just to protect you but anyone you may be riding with. if we get non-mudguard riders on our group rides, we insist they stay at the back.

ive also had the “stick in the mudguard” thing happen. The mudguard broke away as it was supposed to do.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
For you, maybe. But if you ride in a group, as Ass-saver is totally useless. The guy behind will be getting the spray off your rear wheel full in the face. .

Not only that but an ass saver will not save your frame or drive train. They'll be coated in crap. Life's too short to spend it cleaning the bike and drive train after each ride.

Ajax Bay

Guru
mudguards
The only two serious injury accidents, I’ve had on led rides, have been caused by crap getting jammed in hugger mudguards, on winter rides. One was a serious injury, the other one was worse. If I see hugger guards on a bike, on one of my rides now, they take them off, or don’t ride. Stand off guards or ass savers are fine though.
Far more likely to crash as a result of getting mud in your eye from not fitting mudguards. Mudguards are awesome.
This came across my 'desk' - an editorial 'mudguard polemic':
https://www.cambridge-cycling-club.org.uk/documents/newsletters/January2020.pdf
"There is space here, too, for opinions, polemical and controversial, if you like, and I’m happy to start the ball rolling. Unquestionably the most successful aspect of the club, at least measured by numbers of participants, is the Sunday clubrun and Sue Taylor, the Club Runs Captain has contributed an excellent overview in this issue, at the end of which, she includes a restrained and polite reminder about mudguards. Personally, I feel this is an entirely fitting subject for polemic rather than politeness, so I shall exploit editorial privilege by inveighing against those who regularly turn up for winter club runs without a full-length rear mudguard and a mud flap, which needs to extend to well below the level of the bottom bracket to be effective. Frankly, turning up on a January Sunday on a stripped-down racing bike just to ride to a café through muddy lanes at 16mph is an act of masochistic madness. It’s also selfish, since it leaves anyone riding behind you covered in mud. Short rear mudguards are morally even worse (if less madly masochistic) since they spray everyone else whilst protecting their owner. If this describes you and/or your bike, at least have the decency to ride at the back, where you’ll get an easy ride in the dry behind everyone else’s mud flap without ever doing a turn on the front. Your enlightened double-self-interest will thus be its own reward. A club run is no place for mad, selfish masochists. It’s time such people were made to feel like the pariahs they are. Ride leaders are entirely within their rights to exclude them from the group and should do so, unless they are complete newcomers, when they should be asked to ride at the back. But preferably, for club runs on wet winter roads, if you aren’t prepared to fit full-length mudguards and a rear flap, ride on your own, or confine yourself to the company of other mad, selfish masochists. End of rant. Have a good 2020."

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
The rear of the fork Crown presents an equally nasty obstacle - I've dealt with the aftermath of a cyclist with no guards who'd come off as a result of picking up a twig and it getting rammed into the rear of the for Crown. Unless you want to remove your forks entirely and wheely everywhere running with no guards does nothing to alleviate that danger - if you're a good rider who practices their drills and rides diligently you wouldn't be riding over anything in the first place.

And don't get me started on CUK and BC ride leaders - absolute rank amateurs, and I don't mean they're just not getting paid for it. Mickey Mouse levels of training, yet they're telling others what's safe and appropriate.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I saw a stick caught in a plastic mudguard on a CTC ride, and the mudguard just shattered. Metal mudguards are more of a hazard without breakaway fittings.

The fittings used on M Part guards are a bit of a pain. They will release if some idiot knocks your bike in the work bike shed, or if you hit the wrong sort of bump. I often need to stop and re-clip a dragging mudguard.

Top Bottom